Pedals - Musing on a Trip to the Darkside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickM

Veteran
GrumpyGreg said:
Frogs and Eggbeaters and all other clipless chichi ephemera = used by those with more money than sense ;) nowt wrong wi'Shimano...
I agree, but Shimano SPDs are now overpriced, so the best deal (for quality at a given price) is Wellgo, and their best double-sided pedal is the one I have, the W-01.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
you're not wrong though I'd personally go down the beg, borrow, eBay, Freecycle, want ad., route for Shimano first before Wellgo

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
NickM said:
If you tried a pair of W-01s I think you would change your mind (and save some dosh).

I thought you weren't label-conscious? :biggrin:

I'm not I just think the welgo pedals are butt ugly!;)

Cubist

Still wavin'
I heard about the reliability problems with Eggbeaters after I bought them. I got the cheap C version. Apparently they can snap at the axle. As I weigh 16 stone I guess that if they were going to fail they would have done by now, as I regularly honk my MTB about 200 yards up a geet big hill on the way home. Plus, if Crank Bros had any sense, they'd have read all the reviews and done something about it. Given your new bantamweight Bludge old boy, I don't think it's going to do you all that much harm. I still think they look the absolute canine progenitive organs. I also know someone who has the Ti versions, and even he admits he was a bit of a prat buying them, but they somehow look good on his S-works!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've seen broken eggbeaters in the flesh and they also seem to get a lot of coverage on the interweb given they are a minority interest. Some seem to get fixed/replaced under warranty whilst others don't. That said I've destroyed two pairs of Shimano SPD' pedals myself in my time. You have to accept a certain rate of component attrition on well used MTB's but I expect things to last for a-very-long-time on a road bike.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
*I stand corrected* ;)

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Sittingduck said:
*I stand corrected* ;)

yep, and so do I, my sensible side has finally taken heed of the cost element around Speedplay and Crankbrothers so am sticking with SPD. Wellgo or Shimano, but first I need to get the shoes.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Okay, so I ended up with 3 sets of pedals, the Wellgo flat/SPD combis and 2 x Shimano 520's. I also bought a pair of Northwave Mission ATB cycling shoes.

The three sets of pedals, plus the accompanying cleats and the Northwave shoes will be going up for sale. I officially hate being clipped in and have reverted to flat pedals. I'll live with being a little less efficient.

Yes I gave them a fair go, no problems unclipping and only some initial probs clipping in. 200 miles and all I've managed is to hurt my knee and keep myself off the bike, plus I fell over. Typical clipless moment and all that, but I'd rather not fall over.....ever. Could feel a slight benefit when climbing out of the saddle. For me the cons outweighed the pros, I didn't experience any 'light and day' difference over flat pedals.

I'm sure that getting a better stroke, pedalling in circles, and getting the cleats set right would have helped. But I just don't see enough benefits, I like being able to get on any bike, with any shoes. If I ever plan on racing, or strenuous events, then I might reconsider. but, for my purposes, flats will be fine.

Top Bottom