Pedals - Musing on a Trip to the Darkside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
More begging for info folks, considering my pedal setup and fancied trying the dark side of clipping in. Think I've just about got my head around the types, SPD = recessed cleats and SPD-SL = walking like a duck. I believe these terms refer to the type of cleat and are Shimano orientated. Other manufacturers offer similar just not sure on what's compatible with what. Though I do understand you need to get pedals, shoes and cleats in the right combination.

So I fancy trying out on the weekend bike first and would want to begin with something I can use normal shoes on if need be. If this is a success I'd transfer these combinations to my general and commuter bike. At that point I may consider double sided for the weekend bike. I've looked at various options and current contenders are:-

Shimano A520, A530, M324 & M647
Crankbrothers Platforms with Eggbeaters - can't work out if these can double as flat pedals or not
Seen various other makes of one sided pedals that are SPD compatible.

I suppose the ideal would be a pedal that could be used flat, or with SPD's, both sides, can't seem to find anything like that.

Want to take my time on this as three sets of pedals don't work out cheap. I have read through a lot of the pedal bits on here but am still confused. Will try Wiki as well, as Sheldon wasn't a huge help on this one.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

ASC1951

Guru
When you say you want something you can use normal shoes with, MacB, do you just mean shoes you can walk in, or your ordinary wear-round-the-office shoes i.e. something that has to look presentable?

IME cycling in any shoes will soon get them scuffed and scruffy. Dedicated cycling shoes are far more efficient - it's not just the cleats, it's the lack of welt and the stiffness of the soles.

I have just the one pair of Diadoras with recessed cleats. I wouldn't want to wear them all day off the bike, but I could happily walk a mile or so in them if I wanted to. I use double-sided SPDs on my MTB and various single-sided Shimano or equivalent on my road bikes. [Eggbeaters used to have a reputation for falling to bits and being difficult and expensive to get spares for. I wouldn't use them unless you need the superior mud-shedding i.e. wet offroading.]

Riding with cleats seems very daunting before you start, but believe me you get used to it very soon. I think you only need double siders where you need instant stamp-down connection i.e. off road. I even use single siders on my fixed, which is a lot harder but still ok. My advice would be to ignore platform pedals, go straight to single sided SPDs, wear cycling shoes with a cleat recess and take your day shoes with you or leave them at work.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
M324's float my boat on a daily basis. use them with cycling specific shoes for rides and commutes and ordinary street shoes for pub and shops. Because they use mtb style SPD cleats the cycling shoes remain compatible with my mtb's

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The problem with 324s is they are very expensive and very bulky and heavy. MacBludgeon, get some M520s and save some money. I didn't realise you didn't use clipless either, that's pretty scary!

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

thanks guys, just to clarify, no I don't want to cycle in office shoes, it'll always be trainers, or maybe docksiders for local shop stuff. I'm currently using the Impact 5-10 Low flat shoes with large platform pedals, they are very comfy, stiff soled, and super grippy. But they're also very padded and absorb rain like mad, thus getting heavy and taking an age to dry out.

The Wellgos cheapies look just the thing to try out on the weekend bike, good shout YOB. If I get on with them then they can end up on the pub bike and I can go with Shimano A520/30/M324 on the commuter and weekend.

Just to check, when people say single sided SPD does that mean flat pedal one side SPD the other? Also what's the difference between the A520, A530 and M324, is it only weight?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Yes MacB - flat pedal for any shoe one side and SPD the other. I have A530's on one of my bikes and they work very well - I wouldn't get too hung up on the weight of them.

Well done on the continued weight loss BTW.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I have M324s. Wouldn't recomment them, very pricey, very heavy. Not got the A520 or 530, they look better to be honest.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

threebikesmcginty said:
Yes MacB - flat pedal for any shoe one side and SPD the other. I have A530's on one of my bikes and they work very well - I wouldn't get too hung up on the weight of them.

Well done on the continued weight loss BTW.

Ta, ok will start with a pair of the Wellgos as £20, once I'm happy clipless they can go on the pub bike and I think the A530's for the commuter and the weekend bike.

So, we move on to shoes - these are SPD pedals so need specific SPD cleats, the bumph indicate SH-51 will fit the Wellgo and the Shimano A series, but not the M324 they would need SH-56. The cleats come with the pedals yes? so you just need the correctly soled shoes to accept the cleat? Will any shoe saying SPD compatible, ie two holes in the sole across the foot rather than length ways, SPD rather than SPD-R, fit the bill?

I'm not planning on off roading so my thoughts are, stiffish sole, lightweight mesh design on top that drys quickly. Was thinking for Winter/wet weather I'd just use waterproof socks or overshoes rather than trying to find something waterproof. I feel I need to get somewhere to actually try them on but would appreciate suggestions for shoes that would fit my idea. Oh yeah, muted/black colours rather than bright or anything that shows up the muck, I'm not big on cleaning shoes.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
My everday cycle shoes are Shimano M075, I think the latest model is called the M076.
Although they're the MTB equiv of the R075/6 they don't look too clumsy or chunky, they're muted black and silver in colour and you can walk in them ok - cleats should come with shoes.

There are plenty more that are just as good if not better but these suit me and they weren't overly expensive.

Don't look too hard for waterproof shoes I'm not sure there is such a thing......that works!

Definitely get to a shop to try them on - I guarantee you'll need a bigger size than your regular shoes.

When you make the switch you'll be very pleased - miles better than clips.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
MacB, stop fannying about and get some m520's. Cheap, double sided, enough said. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
MacB, stop fannying about and get some m520's. Cheap, double sided, enough said. :ohmy:

nope, first pedals are to try out SPD, i need to be able to make it home if I can't get on with them. These pedals will move to the pub/shop/pootling bike so will frequently be used with flat trainers. The weekend bike may well end up with double sided as it's unlikely ever to be used without cycling shoes. The commuter will probably get a better quality single side.

As for fannying about, I'll have you know I enjoy it and no Fixed Fool From Felixstowe is going to stop me:evil:

bonj2

I tried to pick through this to try and work out what the actual question(s) is/are, but it just seems like a load of confused rambling, with the answers appearing to babble on a bit suggesting that those abortionate pedals that are "spd one side flat the other", which I have never understood the point of, might be the answer, but appearing to contain no actual logic.
Anyone care to translate?

Top Bottom