Pedals...???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gmw492

Veteran
Hi,looking at getting some new pedals,I had some look Keo carbon ones on an old bike and was looking at them again,but now have broaden my ideas and noticed the Mavic Zxellium Elite similar to Time range,which then made me look at the Time Xpersso 6,the Time say they have a nice comfortable float which then put me onto Speedplay pedals but they look complicated set up but double sided entry looks good,I know reviews have pros and cons on anything but having only used Look and cheap Shimano,does anyone recommend maybe moving onto another brand,they all seem light weight,what are the clip in and out like and value,durability etc,if any of you have any of these be nice for some advice,
Cheers

Hi,looking at getting some new pedals,I had some look Keo carbon ones on an old bike and was looking at them again,but now have broaden my ideas and noticed the Mavic Zxellium Elite similar to Time range,which then made me look at the Time Xpersso 6,the Time say they have a nice comfortable float which then put me onto Speedplay pedals but they look complicated set up but double sided entry looks good,I know reviews have pros and cons on anything but having only used Look and cheap Shimano,does anyone recommend maybe moving onto another brand,they all seem light weight,what are the clip in and out like and value,durability etc,if any of you have any of these be nice for some advice,
Cheers

The speed play pedals are very good, but they do need more looking after / maintainance than Shimanos. Crank brothers egg beaters are interesting as well. They take some getting used to, but when you 'get' them, they are good.

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
Thought that was a pun with the egg beating quote ^_^ just looked now only find them in mtb range,they all look good just Speedplay look like small contact surface ,but seem to have good float and entry options,

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I have used most over the years. At the moment I am going with Time on both road and off road. To my knees the float is better than even the floatiest Looks I have used.

One thing I don't like is that modern Time cleats seem designed to wear away as quickly as possible when compared to earlier Time cleats. I'm sure this will be put down to Progress but to me it seems a cynical step taken to allow the company to sell you more quite expensive cleats.

Having used speedplay's for years they get my vote, I used shimano spd SL and Looks before and much prefer the speedplay's. They have just brought out a new cleat, the aero walkable http://www.competitivecyclist.com/speedplay-zero-aero-walkable-cleats
I have just started using them and I will always buy these ones now, the old metal faced cleats wore out fairly quickly. Though the actual mechanism went on forever.
By the way they are not complicated at all, just a giant circlip really. Just expensive.

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
I have used most over the years. At the moment I am going with Time on both road and off road. To my knees the float is better than even the floatiest Looks I have used.

One thing I don't like is that modern Time cleats seem designed to wear away as quickly as possible when compared to earlier Time cleats. I'm sure this will be put down to Progress but to me it seems a cynical step taken to allow the company to sell you more quite expensive cleats.
Yes I read the cleats wear out,the Mavic are almost identical,but seen some Time 6 for £55

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
Having used speedplay's for years they get my vote, I used shimano spd SL and Looks before and much prefer the speedplay's. They have just brought out a new cleat, the aero walkable http://www.competitivecyclist.com/speedplay-zero-aero-walkable-cleats
I have just started using them and I will always buy these ones now, the old metal faced cleats wore out fairly quickly. Though the actual mechanism went on forever.
By the way they are not complicated at all, just a giant circlip really. Just expensive.
The double sided entry does appeal,just thinking of the surface contact ,it seems quite small circle,but they do get good reviews,and a bit of float,

The double sided entry does appeal,just thinking of the surface contact ,it seems quite small circle,but they do get good reviews,and a bit of float,

According to speedplay the cleat shoe contact area is larger than the rest
http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.platform
CLEAT/SHOE CONTACT AREA*
Speedplay 2849.2 MM²
Shimano 2106.0 MM²
Look Keo 1708.5 MM²

And cleat to pedal
http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.platformcleat
CLEAT/PEDAL CONTACT AREA*
Speedplay Zero
4-hole mounting
750.06 MM²
Speedplay Zero
3-hole mounting
568.94 MM²
Look KéO
3-hole mounting
259.91 MM²

I use them for commuting as well, can quite often steal a few yards off people from the lights as you can clip in as quick as lightning, foot down and your in!. Just don't walk around in a sand box in them as you will cleat in and never get out, if dirt gets behind the circlip in the cleat you will have fun getting out, has happened to me, just look for a hedge or wall to stop and lean against.

Just another thought, if you are ever thinking of getting a power meter, the Brimm Brothers Zone DPMX power meters will be out soon. They are the cleat base basically, worn on your shoes, They are speedplay specific, power meter on one cleat will be around 440 euro's. 880 for left and right.

boydj

Legendary Member
I've used Speedplay Frogs on my bikes for years now.

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.frog

Light, double-sided entry, no springs, walkable shoes, easy in and out, but secure, with lots of float. Unless you are racing, I don't see the need to walk like a duck every time you get off the bike for a cafe or pit stop. Great for commuting and touring, or simple utility cycling. More expensive than SPDs, but more user-friendly, though they do need a bit of grease every couple of months.

MiK1138

Veteran
Cheers
No help here im afraid but what is it with Mavic and "IUM" everything is an IUM i can even pronounce the model of my Wheels KYSRIUM???? what even is that
Rant Over

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
I've used Speedplay Frogs on my bikes for years now.

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.frog

Light, double-sided entry, no springs, walkable shoes, easy in and out, but secure, with lots of float. Unless you are racing, I don't see the need to walk like a duck every time you get off the bike for a cafe or pit stop. Great for commuting and touring, or simple utility cycling. More expensive than SPDs, but more user-friendly, though they do need a bit of grease every couple of months.
To be honest i never really walk in my shoes only in house to get bike out and get on it,so cleats that wear out are not a big issue for me,I like everyones input good suggestions,it just comes down to decision now,the speedplay cleats look a bit confusing on you tube different type 'wedges'to make your cleat level,depending on how much your shoes bow it says,but like i said previously double entry looks good,my look ones i had were really light so weight is swinging my decision too

Top Bottom