Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
C

chillyuk

I have lost track of the number of pedals I have gone through. I use "normal" pedals with toe clips and straps and it seems I can't get more than 6 months or so out of pedals before they develop play and begin to knock. My last pair were Wellgo's at £26 and have only lasted a few months. The cannot be adjusted to take up the play. Years ago pedals had bearings, cup and cones and were adjustable and repairable. Does anyone still make pedals like this without spending hundreds of pounds.

No matter how well intentioned "get SPD's" or whatever doesn't help!

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm using pedals similar to these

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/mksgr9.html

on my fixed, with clips and straps, I've had them a while now, they were on my Dawes originally, and they are fine, I think they can be overhauled but haven't needed to yet.

OP
OP
C

chillyuk

Thanks for that link Dave. The shop page does indeed confirm that they have serviceable bearings so after Easter I think an order may well be shooting off!

brockers

Slightly o/t, but how do people manage with toeclips and straps on fixed gears?? I tried swapping my double-sided and REBUILDABLE ;) spd's with regular pedals on my pub-fixie so that I don't have to wear cleaty shoes, but found it almost impossible to spin the pedals quick enough to get my right foot in! I can trackstand too :becool: (well, sometimes), so like to think I'm not a complete imbecile.

Davidc

Guru
I have a set like dave r's and they readjust and repack easily. I also have some of these and they service without difficulty.

Both take straps and clips.

I sympathise with you chillyuk, the pedals which came with my mtb were as you describe, the second set went in the bin last week* after they broke. Replacements are metal all the way through MKS ones which I know are durable and serviceable - I'm not buying the 'proper' ones again.

*along with a chain and cassette - expensive week.

D

Deleted member 1258

Slightly o/t, but how do people manage with toeclips and straps on fixed gears?? I tried swapping my double-sided and REBUILDABLE ;) spd's with regular pedals on my pub-fixie so that I don't have to wear cleaty shoes, but found it almost impossible to spin the pedals quick enough to get my right foot in! I can trackstand too :becool: (well, sometimes), so like to think I'm not a complete imbecile.

I slip my foot in as soon as I start moving, whilst the pedals are still moving very slowly, if I get too much pedal speed on I can't slip my foot in without slowing down, can happen if I miss the clip first time. I always run the straps very slightly loose, still tight enough to hold my feet, but not that tight I can't slip a foot out when I need to.

Top Bottom