Peel veg or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
When I was at sea one of the weirdest bits of food hygiene was that in the crew mess we could not mix fruit each fruit had to be in its own bowel. :wacko:
That's just nuts!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
As others have said it depends on the condition of the skin. Local shop does some small Salad spuds that are good cooked as 'new potatoes' but they are sold all year round.

OP
OP
Petrichorwheels

Petrichorwheels

Offhand, radishes and tomatoes are the only veg I can think of that I don't peel.

That's wise, potato skin is poisonous.

Potatoes are from the same family as deadly nightshade, and the skins contain solanine, the same toxin.

mm - so wot about jacket potatoes?
Woz spudulike some Putin conspiracy?

OP
OP
Petrichorwheels

Petrichorwheels

well, especially as someone who has eaten oranges* peel and all for as long as I can remember I think I will lean towards minimal peeling.

* On the concern about pesticides etc, my initial reading before I consulted you wise lot seemed to imply that with an orange these will go right to the heart of it. So maybe best to avoid oranges.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I think it's only dangerous if the potatoe has sprouted and you eat the "eyes". But I could be wrong. I've never eaten raw potatoe skin, but I've eaten plenty of jacket potatoes with bits of eye on them (my mum was a no nonsense cook) and they do make the old tongue sting a bit but I've never died

I have and I'm not dead.

1659547422007.png

1659547457211.png

classic33

Leg End Member
Offhand, radishes and tomatoes are the only veg I can think of that I don't peel.

That's wise, potato skin is poisonous.

Potatoes are from the same family as deadly nightshade, and the skins contain solanine, the same toxin.
Tomatoes are a fruit though!

Top Bottom