Peel veg or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrichorwheels

Having upped my veg intake for various reasons (and feeling all the better for it) that old question returns (so apologies if already asked).

Do you peel the stuff?

I well remember the advice not to, as all the best stuff was in the skin/just under the skin of the likes of carrots.

Then this was followed by the warning that lots of chemical nasties were concentrated here.

so confused.

so do you peel or not?

or maybe just scrub?

I have searched online - including the trusted beeb - found no advice from them, though there were recipes for making stuff out of peel. If you are going to do that, why not just leave the peel on? BBC fence sitting?

Note - not interested in any advice to go organic.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I always peel potatoes and carrots.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Not always, carrots just get a good wash.
Parsnips yes, turnips yes, Swede yes.
Potatoes, new potatoes no, just a wash, old potatoes depends if mashing, roasting or baking.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
So that's why the baked spuds I had last night killed me.

Me too. Presumably the cooking must get rid of the toxin. Is there not a starter in some restaurants that is potato peel based.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
If the carrot skin is very smooth I don't peel, but if it's older/scabbier then I do, otherwise I find it has a gritty texture. Potatoes, yes I peel except for jackets. I always peel a swede but I've never tried the skin really. Parsnips I don't peel.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Offhand, radishes and tomatoes are the only veg I can think of that I don't peel.

That's wise, potato skin is poisonous.

Potatoes are from the same family as deadly nightshade, and the skins contain solanine, the same toxin.

I think it's only dangerous if the potatoe has sprouted and you eat the "eyes". But I could be wrong. I've never eaten raw potatoe skin, but I've eaten plenty of jacket potatoes with bits of eye on them (my mum was a no nonsense cook) and they do make the old tongue sting a bit but I've never died

vickster

Legendary Member
Offhand, radishes and tomatoes are the only veg I can think of that I don't peel.

Tomatoes are a fruit :whistle:

Peeling fruit is however a whole other discussion... :unsure:

I don't peel baby Charentais carrots, but I would big ones. I must say organic carrots are much nicer than the cheapies for not that much more outlay for the number I eat

Last edited:
Top Bottom