Peloton advert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Having been bombarded by this incredibly annoying ad both on you tube & now on t.v, I thought I would see what it's all about, according to their website you buy a £2000 spin bike, doesn't even look like a good one, then pay £39 per month for unlimited classes, why, our local leisure centre membership is £230 per year & you can do any class that takes your fancy, & use the swimming pool whenever you want, alternatively a smart turbo, bike & a Zwift subscription would be much cheaper, sound like the sort of hare brained scheme that those buffoons on the apprentice would dream up.

And they have put their lawyers onto a guy because a segment on his cycling-related YouTube show is called "Digital Peloton News".
IP lawyers bringing frivolous nonsense like this are contemptible scum.

Good morning,

.... sound like the sort of hare brained scheme that those buffoons on the apprentice would dream up.

I sort of agree, except that it is valued at $4billion, has sold over a quarter of a million bikes and recently raised another $550million for expansion.

All is not rosy though, Peleton are suing Flywheel a competitor alleging that they ripped of Peleton's unique patented technology, I often get cynical about this sort of thing as if it is possible to rip it of fairly easily then it probably shouldn't have been able to be patented in the first place.

I do get the price as they are not interested in customers for whom price is much of an issue, if you look at the room that the guy is exercising in on the TV advert and the UK site home page, it is a massive amount of space. Equally £39 per month is not much if you normally go to the more upmarket gyms.

Many here are happy to spend a couple of grand on a bike that could last a life time but will be upgraded after only a few years.

And yes I do expect a lot of unhappy investors in a couple of years time when the novelty wears off. :-)

Bye

Ian

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I sort of agree, except that it is valued at $4billion, has sold over a quarter of a million bikes and recently raised another $550million for expansion.

Does anyone else remember the tech bubble burst of 2000? It was preceded by a load of cash piling in to overvalued companies.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the next crash will take out not just minnows like this but also one of the really big tech companies.

OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
And they have put their lawyers onto a guy because a segment on his cycling-related YouTube show is called "Digital Peloton News".

This sounds reminiscent of Specialized & the Roubaix disaster, when they tried to claim the patent of the name Roubaix over a small cafe & iirc it all ended in tears for them, I think that ASO might have something to say about it, & if it comes to it can afford to throw more money at lawyers than these American idiots can.

OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
Good morning,

All is not rosy though, Peleton are suing Flywheel a competitor alleging that they ripped of Peleton's unique patented technology, I often get cynical about this sort of thing as if it is possible to rip it of fairly easily then it probably shouldn't have been able to be patented in the first place.

I do get the price as they are not interested in customers for whom price is much of an issue, if you look at the room that the guy is exercising in on the TV advert and the UK site home page, it is a massive amount of space. Equally £39 per month is not much if you normally go to the more upmarket gyms.

Many here are happy to spend a couple of grand on a bike that could last a life time but will be upgraded after only a few years.

And yes I do expect a lot of unhappy investors in a couple of years time when the novelty wears off. :-)

Bye

Ian

I think people who can afford that sort of money are few & far between, & will soon be onto the next thing, the whole premise seems overvalued to me, I remember the warehouse supervisor at one of the sites I visit for work describing the high end home gym equipment they deliver as Britain’s most expensive clothes horses, I suspect these will be too.

OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
I can think of nothing worse on a "bike" than someone on screen yelling at me to "push through it". Nope I am heading out to ride to a pub thanks Peloton.
Exactly I do enjoy the spin class at our local gym as it helps keep my fitness up, but it’s also quite social too, which this isn’t.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

It does seem silly, but Peloton as a word cant be trademarked for a general usage, so anyone can say it or use it in other contexts.
But it cant be used in specific regard to electronic cycle training. It seems fair enough to me.
He can just change his you tube account to "Digital bike training news" and he will be fine.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
This sounds reminiscent of Specialized & the Roubaix disaster, when they tried to claim the patent of the name Roubaix over a small cafe & iirc it all ended in tears for them, I think that ASO might have something to say about it, & if it comes to it can afford to throw more money at lawyers than these American idiots can.

Hmm...having had a quick look at the youtube channel, the lawyers have a good point. The content is primarily about stationary trainers. Of course you can't patent the word "Peleton" but that isn't the issue. By mainly providing content on stationary trainers, and incorporating the brand name of a major provider of stationary trainers in the name, it would be reasonable for someone to conclude there is some connection or relationship between the youtuber and the company and as such the youtuber was expressing Peleton's opinion

I haven't looked into the detailed numbers to determine whether the USD4bn valuation looks right or not. But sophisticated investors have paid USD550m recently so they will have done their Due Diligence. I could imagine this being popular. Spin classes are very popular but you have to drag to the class. Peleton brings the spin class to you

OP
OP
D

DRM

Guru
I suppose it’s who used the name first, if the you tuber had first dibs it could prove embarrassing, a quick web search shows you can get a decent spin bike for around £400 to £500, for home use, with variable rather than stepped resistance.

Top Bottom