Pendleton ebike battery water damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If they want to rely on that advise I would suggest taking it to court - there is no way they can sell a bike in this country and say you can't ride in in the rain

It is sold for a purpose - in this case as a transport device - so it has to be able to do what a reasonable person would expect it to be able to do with it

What are they suggesting you do if you use it to commute and it starts raining just before you clock off???

Drago

Legendary Member
It just said 'avoid being caught in the rain' I just find that a bit odd to put that on a bike and not supply a cover for it or even recommend buying one when they were selling it to me in store. I never noticed that text until it was too late and I've never owned a bike that can't get wet before so didn't think to check if I could or not.
It's done now and just hope to warn others so they don't get caught out too.
Good grief. Do they have to explain the consequences of every potential possible eventuality to you, and then have them run alongaide holding a brolly for you?

If they want to rely on that advise I would suggest taking it to court - there is no way they can sell a bike in this country and say you can't ride in in the rain

It is sold for a purpose - in this case as a transport device - so it has to be able to do what a reasonable person would expect it to be able to do with it

What are they suggesting you do if you use it to commute and it starts raining just before you clock off???

Was it? Did the buyer specifically state they were purchasing it as a transport device, or did the seller explicitly state it was suitable for use as one? I doubt it, in which case theres no verbal or implied contract to enforce with respect to that mode of usage. The gent freely admits that the item was labelled with a warning to avoid the wet stuff and he didn't notice it. Buyer freely admits he failed to conduct due dilligence, case closed m'lud.

Water ingress can be an issue on any make and model of ebike - go read the problem pages of the ebike forums to see the truth of that one. If purchasing an electrical device for use in wet weather is important to a buyer, then youd think the buyer would check the suitability such a device before getting their wallet out. I didnt even buy my ebike, it was a gift, butnI knew this could be a problem so straight awsy obtained a battery cover and took my own steps to waterproof the control panel.

They need a little more thought than a regular bicycle to be suitable for all westher usage. Thats the unavoidable bottom line.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jibberviki

Jibberviki

Good grief. Do they have to explain the consequences of every potential possible eventuality to you, and then have them run alongaide holding a brolly for you?

Was it? Did the buyer specifically state they were purchasing it as a transport device, or did the seller explicitly state it was suitable for use as one? I doubt it, in which case theres no verbal or implied contract to enforce with respect to that mode of usage. The gent freely admits that the item was labelled with a warning to avoid the wet stuff and he didn't notice it. Buyer freely admits he failed to conduct due dilligence, case closed m'lud.

Water ingress can be an issue on any make and model of ebike - go read the problem pages of the ebike forums to see the truth of that one. If purchasing an electrical device for use in wet weather is important to a buyer, then youd think the buyer would check the suitability such a device before getting their wallet out. I didnt even buy my ebike, it was a gift, butnI knew this could be a problem so straight awsy obtained a battery cover and took my own steps to waterproof the control panel.

They need a little more thought than a regular bicycle to be suitable for all westher usage. Thats the unavoidable bottom line.
For goodness sake, did this post really warrant such rudeness!
I merely bought a bike to commute to work. At no point did I think to ask it the blooming thing was waterproof!! So clearly I'm an idiot and deserve to be ridiculed in a forum.
Thank you to all those with helpful advice and I hope I may of helped others realise they also need to ask if the bike is waterproof before buying it.
I'm probably more of a gentleman than you are and I'm female!!!

I think that it doesn't matter what you put in a user guide or instruction book anything sold in a shop is expected to perform and functions a reasonable person would expect it to be able to do

Hence a bike should be able to cope with normal conditions in which a bike could be ridden
NOT extremes of riding such as full on down hill runs - unless it is advertised as being able to do this
and if a top pro buy a basic Carrera from Halfords they can't moan that the transmission breaks due to his power
but if a normal person ride the bike on a normal variety of roads at normal speed in normal weathers - then the bike has to be capable of coping

saying 'don't get caught in the rain' is just not acceptable - unless the bike is CLEARLY labelled at the time of purchase of being intended as being for use in dry weather only

That's how I think the consumer law in the UK works - any lawyers on here that have knowledge based on actual facts - rather than my thoughts based on memories from Martin Lewis and Angela Rippon????

OP
OP
Jibberviki

Jibberviki

I think that it doesn't matter what you put in a user guide or instruction book anything sold in a shop is expected to perform and functions a reasonable person would expect it to be able to do

Hence a bike should be able to cope with normal conditions in which a bike could be ridden
NOT extremes of riding such as full on down hill runs - unless it is advertised as being able to do this
and if a top pro buy a basic Carrera from Halfords they can't moan that the transmission breaks due to his power
but if a normal person ride the bike on a normal variety of roads at normal speed in normal weathers - then the bike has to be capable of coping

saying 'don't get caught in the rain' is just not acceptable - unless the bike is CLEARLY labelled at the time of purchase of being intended as being for use in dry weather only

That's how I think the consumer law in the UK works - any lawyers on here that have knowledge based on actual facts - rather than my thoughts based on memories from Martin Lewis and Angela Rippon????
Thank you. I didn't think it was unreasonable to occasionally ride in the rain 😅 and there are no covers for that type of battery either.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Why so damned rude.

Fark getting an electric bike if it can't get wet. The battery should not be letting in water. Massive fire risk if the terminals short.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Bosch, with typical German caution, describe their system as 'splash proof'.

As many forum members can testify from CC group rides, I've ridden my Bosch ebike in some very heavy downpours without it missing a beat.

I also submerged the motor to above bottom bracket level in an unexpectedly deep ford.

On that occasion I was expecting it to go pop, but it was still running fine two years later when I sold the bike.

As regards the OP, it seems she garaged the bike immediately on returning home.

Unfortunately, a wet bike in an unheated garage is a condensation generator, so that is the likely cause of the corroded battery.

The motor would have been OK, so with the benefit of hindsight bringing the battery into the house would have likely prevented the problem.

Quality also comes into it.

The Bosch system looks dear compared to cheap Chinese hub motors and batteries, but it appears you get you pay for.

OP
OP
Jibberviki

Jibberviki

Thank you. The bike is stored in the garage but I always remove the battery so it is stored indoors, even at work. The only time I don't take it off is shopping or popping in a pub or restaurant.
My partner found a cover for his Carrera battery but I can't see one for a rear carrier one 😔

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thank you. The bike is stored in the garage but I always remove the battery so it is stored indoors, even at work. The only time I don't take it off is shopping or popping in a pub or restaurant.
My partner found a cover for his Carrera battery but I can't see one for a rear carrier one 😔

I'm not convinced a cover would help a great deal.

It may even promote condensation by trapping moisture between it and the battery.

As a commuter, you are getting regular use out of your ebike.

Might be worth thinking about an upgrade to a Bosch or other crank drive bike.

It would be a shame to buy one of those and leave it gathering dust in the garage, but you wouldn't be doing that.

gbb

Legendary Member
What model of bike / motor are we talking about ?
Reading up post, it seems the Bosch system is quite capable of dealing with the wet, certainly my Suntour system states in the manual it is completely waterproof (but also states you shouldn't get it intentionally wet) and even in that there should be some user caution, wear and tear, age etc may deteriorate seals.
Itd be interesting to see what OPs manufacturers instructions say rather than ours.

Edited to add, Pendleton of course, I will see what their instructions state.

Edited further, re-reading, I see the bike is just over a year old. I think the warranty on my Carerra is 2 years for the transmission (motor, battery and controller).. does the Pendleton have a similar warranty ?

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Advice for Giant ebikes: never jet wash your bike.
Goes for the electrical bits of any ebike.
Giants own commentary;
Our batteries are fully cased and waterproof, however, avoid using a jetwash as they can force open gaps and let water seep in. In fact, we strongly recommend never using a jet wash on any part of an electric bike, just in case!

Top Bottom