"People are giving up on cycling".

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Yes, no, maybe? Lies, damned lies and statistics!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The proportion of adults in England who say they cycle at least once a month has fallen to 13.1%, the lowest figure since records began in 2015-16
So claim The Grauniad.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...ike-again-why-people-are-giving-up-on-cycling
Do you think there's any truth in this?

I read this the day it was published. My only response was "this is a very bad piece of journalism." The article is more worthy of tge Daily Mail than the Guardian.

Not worth commenting on.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Cycling numbers were always going to fall post Covid. During the pandemic millions of people had an extended holiday throughout a good summer and the schools were shut. Only essential shops were open and non essential car trips were banned, so people had very little to do and the roads were empty. A trip out on the bike with the kids was one of the obvious things to do. When life returned to normal numbers were only ever going to go one way.

To gauge whether cycling is becoming more or less popular, or just remaining static, you've got to look at the numbers now and come back in five years time before you get anywhere near a true picture. As for how safe people feel on a bike, I could write an article claiming cycling is dangerous and another saying it is perfectly safe and I would have no trouble finding plenty of people to support either view. I'd just pick the audience I wanted to suit each article.

Milzy

Guru
If you’re asking for opinions mine is this. Lockdown may have boosted some fad cycling which has now gone. Although it may seem to be easing off there’s no truth in that report, it’s B.S. British cycling is massive & will only grow albeit quite slowly.

The numbers are v 2015/6 - so the pandemic peak isn't included in calculations.

Have to say I agree as a club cyclist numbers on club rides are well down.

The proportion of adults in England who say they cycle at least once a month has fallen to 13.1%, the lowest figure since records began in 2015-16
So claim The Grauniad.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...ike-again-why-people-are-giving-up-on-cycling
Do you think there's any truth in this?

Survey period is November 2020 to November 2021. UK lockdowns began in March 2020 and ended in December 2021 albeit applied intermittently.

You can trust the Guardian with veracity of news as they have the best fact checking protocol. Outside of news, their columnist and opinion pieces writers are driven by ideology, false gods and their self serving dreams. If I write an article on why meritocracy is bad for society, my guess is only the Guardian will publish it . If I write that knife crime in London is race based the Guardian will not touch it despite the presentation of empirical evidence. It does not matter if the victims are from the same racial background and their community needs help.

Sharky

Guru
A very distorted article.
"The nearest purpose-made cycle path to us is about 3 miles away and is simply a straight path, where there’s no way to teach my grandson left and right turns and so on. And we needed a car to get there. Dave Symons, 75, retired, Skelmersdale, Lancashire"

He must be referring to the cycle paths alongside the Rainford bypass. These must be at least 6 miles long and segregated from the main road. Perfect for cycling along. I find it hard to understand that you need a car to travel three miles just to get to the start of the cycle paths. Roads either side of the bypass, from memory are fairly quiet country roads.

My grandsons have been brought up in Streatham and THAT is a busy road system. They learned bike handling on the grass in a local park - always under the supervision of their parents. Their mum, our daughter, before the lockdown started cycling to the tube/rail station when commuting and was considering riding the whole way into the city. She had done a couple of trial runs, but lockdown put an end to it. But they often go for rides out as a family.

I think as with anything, if you really want to do something, you will find a way. There are always alternatives and my grandsons are more interested in football and cricket. That grandad at the top of the post - I'm sure he is entertaining his grandkids in other activities. Choosing other activities before cycling is more than acceptable. The article is just a snippet of information not taken in context with everything else.

tinywheels

Über Member
A very distorted article.
"The nearest purpose-made cycle path to us is about 3 miles away and is simply a straight path, where there’s no way to teach my grandson left and right turns and so on. And we needed a car to get there. Dave Symons, 75, retired, Skelmersdale, Lancashire"

He must be referring to the cycle paths alongside the Rainford bypass. These must be at least 6 miles long and segregated from the main road. Perfect for cycling along. I find it hard to understand that you need a car to travel three miles just to get to the start of the cycle paths. Roads either side of the bypass, from memory are fairly quiet country roads.

My grandsons have been brought up in Streatham and THAT is a busy road system. They learned bike handling on the grass in a local park - always under the supervision of their parents. Their mum, our daughter, before the lockdown started cycling to the tube/rail station when commuting and was considering riding the whole way into the city. She had done a couple of trial runs, but lockdown put an end to it. But they often go for rides out as a family.

I think as with anything, if you really want to do something, you will find a way. There are always alternatives and my grandsons are more interested in football and cricket. That grandad at the top of the post - I'm sure he is entertaining his grandkids in other activities. Choosing other activities before cycling is more than acceptable. The article is just a snippet of information not taken in context with everything else.

I used to cycle from Streatham high road to Croydon on a daily basis in the early 80s.
it wasn't safe then, as a collision with a learner, who wasn't looking taught me.
if your grandkids are now cycling up the high road I suggest talking to the parents.
I lived on Kings Court Rd, I would not reccomend children cycling anywhere but tooting bec common.

Sharky

Guru
I used to cycle from Streatham high road to Croydon on a daily basis in the early 80s.
it wasn't safe then, as a collision with a learner, who wasn't looking taught me.
if your grandkids are now cycling up the high road I suggest talking to the parents.
I lived on Kings Court Rd, I would not reccomend children cycling anywhere but tooting bec common.

No, they don't go out on the roads by themselves, always with their mum & Dad. It was one of the "commons" that they learned to ride. Walking distance from where they live.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I hope they're right. Every cloud has a silver lining, as they say; and I am after a bike on e-bay. Used once, looks mint, my size, within reasonable distance, cost over £1000 new.... Not giving any more details for obvious reasons :smile:.
Will let you know on Monday night!

Two hours to go and the bidders have arrived. It has already gone above my limit, so here's the link if anyone wznts a Merida Speeder 500 hybrid, 56cm frame. Currently at £500.

Ebay link.

Top Bottom