"People are giving up on cycling".

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I’m 40 now, should I have it checked?

Yes.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I've not been cycling for months. Diagnosed with prostate cancer in January hasn't helped and I'm not sure if my day/week long rides weren't a contributing factor. A family friend was also killed on his bike last year. My enthusiasm is almost nil at the moment.

I'm not of the medical profession but I seriously doubt your condition is due to cycling. Being physically active is always a bonus for health concerns.

Follow medical advice and keep your pecker up would be my suggestion :okay:

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’m 40 now, should I have it checked?
Are you having problems? Getting up several times a night to pee? If so yes. Enlargement comes with age so doesn’t mean it is cancerous so don’t be alarmed. Checking it is not nice but if it has to be done.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
AIUI cycling has a protective effect.

Checking for prostate cancer is not straightforward - the NHS is reluctant to offer PSA tests willy-nilly, as these throw up lots of false positives. A doctor's finger up the bum can check for an enlarged prostate, but you'd be aware of that anyway from the symptoms.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Yes, it does seem very few on the C2W scheme actually use it to ride to work but if it gets people out on bikes for exercise it takes the strain off the NHS .
OK I confess in 2010 I bought a bike on C2W and didn’t use it to commute on . It was a Boardman SC Comp , after a few commutes I decided it was too nice for the daily grind and went back to using my Surly Steamroller with Marathon + plus tyres.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I'm not of the medical profession but I seriously doubt your condition is due to cycling. Being physically active is always a bonus for health concerns.

Follow medical advice and keep your pecker up would be my suggestion :okay:

Harvard did a study and found that more than 5 hours cycling a week is a risk. My Oncologist said that it was Lifestyle, Age and Pollution that were factors. The pollution thing bothered me. Riding hard in traffic and breathing all that crap in. I now run and walk forest trails.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Harvard did a study and found that more than 5 hours cycling a week is a risk. My Oncologist said that it was Lifestyle, Age and Pollution that were factors. The pollution thing bothered me. Riding hard in traffic and breathing all that crap in. I now run and walk forest trails.

TBH, riding a bike in traffic is better than sitting in the car, for pollution ! Cycling can raise your PSA just after riding - proven fact, but it will drop afterwards. I'm tested annually due to medication which can increase the risk of cancer, but without it I'd be constantly tired and not exercising at all.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm not sure bike prices are coming down yet - keep looking at Boardman CX bikes - would make a great commuter for me, but used ones that are 6 years old are still asking £500 - new they were £1k or less. Silly money.

Milzy

Guru
Are you having problems? Getting up several times a night to pee? If so yes. Enlargement comes with age so doesn’t mean it is cancerous so don’t be alarmed. Checking it is not nice but if it has to be done.

Sometimes just one pee. Not every night.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sometimes just one pee. Not every night.
I would have thought you don't have grounds to worry and you're probably a bit young to start having problems.
If you drink a lot of fluid you will get up. Certain things don't help like sugar, dairy products and alcohol.
Try not drinking too much after 7.00.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I'm not sure bike prices are coming down yet - keep looking at Boardman CX bikes - would make a great commuter for me, but used ones that are 6 years old are still asking £500 - new they were £1k or less. Silly money.

i have noticed that groupset creep down is happening , instead of 10 speed 105/ tiagra 1 k bikes ( the old c2w limit ) seem to have sora now

bigjim

Legendary Member
TBH, riding a bike in traffic is better than sitting in the car, for pollution ! Cycling can raise your PSA just after riding - proven fact, but it will drop afterwards. I'm tested annually due to medication which can increase the risk of cancer, but without it I'd be constantly tired and not exercising at all.

The car versus bike pollution thing is regularly trotted out. I'm not convinced. The car can be fitted with filters and the car driver could have just finished a run or swim before his journey. Thats without taking into account the physical dangers in the comparison. Once you are diagnosed it's only natural to research the cause. The Harvard thing is one of many. Cycling is an irritant to the Prostate which evidently swells the prostate which in turn can lead to cancer they say. We all have to make our own decisions and being aware is no bad thing.

Milzy

Guru
The car versus bike pollution thing is regularly trotted out. I'm not convinced. The car can be fitted with filters and the car driver could have just finished a run or swim before his journey. Thats without taking into account the physical dangers in the comparison. Once you are diagnosed it's only natural to research the cause. The Harvard thing is one of many. Cycling is an irritant to the Prostate which evidently swells the prostate which in turn can lead to cancer they say. We all have to make our own decisions and being aware is no bad thing.

It’s far up the bum though so how does a saddle irritate it? And does this risk of cancer pose the same threat to gay men where things will move against it more violently?

Alex321

Veteran
I would have thought you don't have grounds to worry and you're probably a bit young to start having problems.
If you drink a lot of fluid you will get up. Certain things don't help like sugar, dairy products and alcohol.
Try not drinking too much after 7.00.

Injury also seems to make a difference - presumably more waste products as the body heals.

I hardly ever have to get up in the night for a pee normally, but for several weeks after I broke my wrist in March, it was every night, sometimes 2-3 times.

Back to normal now though, several months without needing to get up.

Top Bottom