"People are giving up on cycling".

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Nice looking machine, shame you missed out.

If I REALLY wanted it, I would have set my limit higher. But I've already got 5 bikes cluttering up my spare room, so the sensible option was to let it go. If I could have got it at a stupidly low price then fair enough, but that's not happening.

Alex321

Veteran
The proportion of adults in England who say they cycle at least once a month has fallen to 13.1%, the lowest figure since records began in 2015-16
So claim The Grauniad.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...ike-again-why-people-are-giving-up-on-cycling
Do you think there's any truth in this?

No. I don't believe it for one moment.

It is likely to be reducing from the pandemic peak, but I doubt many of those who cycled before the pandemic and through it will have given up, and enough of those who started or returned to cycling during the pandemic will have continued to keep the numbers well above 2015 levels.

Alex321

Veteran
I think the cost of living will continue the cycling trend as people simply cannot afford to pay energy bills some has to go and the largest non essential items for many is the car... or second car.. the bike is a handy replacement for local journeys.
Very few people who aren't already keen cyclists will think of the bike as a "handy replacement" for their 2nd car.

Sixmile

Veteran
I know loads of people with a cycle to work scheme bike that don't use them. Does anyone know if the C2C scheme has been fully evaluated?

On one of our work C2W information sessions, there were 90 or so people on the teams call. I know not all have C2W but a good proportion do, maybe a few dozen. How many actually cycle to work that i know of? Two.

postman

Legendary Member
I have been so busy since recovering from the operations i have not had time.Five rides maximum since June,furthest 31 miles in total.But boy have i enjoyed them,except nearly got clobbered with a trailer full of pink portable loos,i kid you not.anyway less bikes out more room in cafes,bettwr choice of cake less people eating,whats not to love about that.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I can't say that I've noticed any decline in cycling around my way.

stewpot

Über Member
Funnily enough I stopped cycling during the pandemic becuase there were so many cyclists out on the trails and bike paths. Now they're back in their cars I'm back on my bike

Milzy

Guru
I've not been cycling for months. Diagnosed with prostate cancer in January hasn't helped and I'm not sure if my day/week long rides weren't a contributing factor. A family friend was also killed on his bike last year. My enthusiasm is almost nil at the moment.

I’m 40 now, should I have it checked?

Top Bottom