People 'babying' pets.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It's actually classed as a terrier, although there it's almost certain that some whippet was used to 'improve' the breed in the past.
My mother's Jack Russell terrier went into a severe decline after mum's death and I eventually had her pts as she simply didn't enjoy life anymore even though there was nothing physically wrong with her that we could discover.

It is, with strong sighthound traits, as some Whippet-lines can also be quite terrier-like (our Houdini is very terrier-like with a very strong prey-drive). Bedlingtons make great pets, rarely bark, calm, low shedding and a bit smarter than a Whippet.
Bedlington Whippet crosses are common and are again lovely animals.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It's easy to take the mick or pour scorn on others behaviour towards their dogs.
For many, their dog fulfills a much needed emotional void in their lives. Dogs are very knowing and faithful companions with which mutually strong bonds are formed, for some it's their only form of received love as many peoples modern lives whilst seem fulfilling on the surface may be somehow emotionally lacking. Dogs rarely let you down in that regard.
Each to their own, eh? Live and let live.

Having said all that, dogs and their owners need to know boundaries when in others houses etc... double-ditto for children!

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Bedlington owner myself. Make great pets, and are excellent working terriers too.
Dog owners have myriad reasons for owning dogs - as a fashion accessory should not really be one imho. Coats, outfits, Instagram accounts. All rather daft and unnecessary.

This isn't new. Twenty years ago or more friends came to dinner. One family brought their dog and asked for a chair for it at dinner. It was fed food from the plate while we ate -fed from the fork one of them used to eat from! Took it to be a joke at first. Bonkers!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They bought a car?

Think I paid less than that for a brand new one direct from Vauxhall

Don't get me started. Plenty of dogs needing a home, but oh no, wouldn't consider a rescue due to young nephews (allegedly). The 'pup' has been a handful :giggle: not that I laugh much.

byegad

Legendary Member
People are strange!

I have a distant relative who recently got married, the dog took a large part in the wedding ceremony, carrying the rings, and had it's own seat at the reception.

An ex neighbour had to take several days off work, as did his wife after their cat got run over and killed.

I simply don't understand it. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Reactions: C R
Most don’t understand owning a dog until they get one. They become part of the family and are sorely missed when they pass away.

I think that statement can be true of almost any of the domestic animals most closely associated with humans, given the 'right' situation - although nowadays it usually applies mainly to dogs, and somewhat less-commonly to cats and horses.

I remember reading a book (not fiction) about three children orphaned on the Oregon Trail, who were eventually left with just one of the draught oxen - the sole female - of the four which had drawn their parent's wagon, and who set off walking together. The story had been written down by the son of the settler and wife to whose cabin the children finally made their way; even the rather dry and unsympathetic-sounding 'Victorian' description of the bond between the children and this - literally - faithful cow who helped them to survive during the many weeks they had spent lost in the mountains in terrible weather was tear-jerking. I've often looked for the book but never found it again; I'd bought it secondhand when I lived in Australia.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I find treating an animal as if they were human a bit odd.

But what about those of us who "treat" our bike to new tyres? Or describe its personality? Or refer to their car as "she"?

Seems we can't stop doing it.

I find treating an animal as if they were human a bit odd.

But what about those of us who "treat" our bike to new tyres? Or describe its personality? Or refer to their car as "she"?

Seems we can't stop doing it.
I don't think (most) people treat either bikes or barkers 'as if they were human' - but they do often get treated as if they were in some sort of relationship to their 'owner' - which of course they are.

It is easier to tend towards the 'human' treatment of a possession - be it alive or inanimate - the 'closer' and longer and more exclusive one's relationship with it, and the more one perceives that there is a return on the emotional part of the investment.

Heck, I was REALLY sad to leave behind a big orchid which I'd struggled to maintain and finally to thrive, when I left the middle east, even though the orchid - along with three big, ugly, ill-tempered terrapins which I'd also rescued, and brought back to nasty, snapping health - were being taken in by a very excellent small zoo as part of a tropical water exhibit.

Well, I'm "mummy" to Mesdames Poppy and Lexi, and the furry girls are very much part of the family here chez Casa Reynard.

Lexi did come with me to a wedding - but it was a "pet friendly" wedding to which also came four miniature dachshunds and the vicar's border collie. Lexi was the only cat. She just flopped down in the aisle (on her lead and harness) and chilled during the service, and shared my prawn sandwiches during the reception.

And I won't deny that I factor in some of their favourite things like ham, prawns and YS meat and fish when I go shopping. :blush: I do love to spoil them... :blush: But then again, they repay me quite handsomely in terms of company, entertainment and rodent control duties.

That's the thing - people looking at the situation from outside don't see the repayment received. If both are content, and the health of neither is being compromised, I can see no issue whatsoever. Even if someone does want to dress a little dog in a frilly dress ...
IIRC, pet owners live longer and healthier lived - both mentally and physically - on average, than non-pet-owners, all other things being equal.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I agree with your decision and we are big dog fans. We have just spent the weekend attending a dog show. To me dogs are pets. They are not "Fur babies". They are to be treat like dogs and not be allowed to take over the house or my life. I would struggle to stay in the same room as someone who thinks it was a baby.

Top Bottom