People picking Daffodils on the roadside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
Yesterday whilst driving along a coastal road I saw scores of people picking Daffodils along the roadside. They have been planted up by the local authority's to enhance to entrances to villages and to make the place look more appealing to the eye. I personally think it's disgusting, that people can be so selfish to strip the road sides of what brightens our land up ,after the cold grey winter of this year. The tax payer pays for these for all to see ,only for some selfish people to take away. These people wouldn't go to a park and help themselves, so way do they think it's acceptable to take them from the roadside.
Anyway rant over lol :-) :-)

winjim

Smash the cistern
Bunch of daffodils.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
They are probably committing some kind of offence, and daffs are cheap to buy in local shops at the moment.
Under the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act, it’s illegal in the UK to:

• pick flowers in public parks or community gardens
  • pick flowers on National Trust property or nature reserves
  • pick flowers from roundabouts etc (which are looked after by the council)
  • intentionally pick, uproot or destroy any wild plant without permission from the landowner or occupier

They are probably committing some kind of offence, and daffs are cheap to buy in local shops at the moment.
B+Q had reduced pots of mini daffs to 50p this afternoon, a fair few of which were already in flower which seems a bit early to me.
I may be cynical in that they are shelf clearing due to the weather forecast for week ahead.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I once caught my crazy old neighbour in my front garden picking bluebells. Her excuse was that she had given the bulbs to the previous owners of our house so they were hers by right. Mad old bat!

Very glad I’m not the only one. I had a drunk neighbour asking for the dahlia tubers that were growing in my garden. He had given them to the previous, deceased owner.

They were full of eel worm, so I dug them up, put them in a pot and left them on his front step. I’m nice like that.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
These people wouldn't go to a park and help themselves

I think some would. I've seen such types pinching rooted flowers from my local park. Most have been planted by volunteers who paid for them themselves. That or booting the flower heads off.:thumbsdown:

Last edited:

Alan O

Über Member
B+Q had reduced pots of mini daffs to 50p this afternoon, a fair few of which were already in flower which seems a bit early to me.
I may be cynical in that they are shelf clearing due to the weather forecast for week ahead.
I saw some mini daffs in full flower in one of the parks I rode though at the weekend.

Venod

Eh up
Before we were married (and that will be 45 years this year} Mrs Afnug and friend were questioned by the police on a night out to York for picking daffodils from the bankings of the city walls, they both gave false names and addresses so heard nothing more or it, she's kept me on the ball for a long time.

Tin Pot

Guru
When you can get 100 daffodil bulbs for £12.99 you wonder why they’re stealing.

It’s the cost of paying someone to plant them that they’re depriving us of.

Top Bottom