People picking Daffodils on the roadside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There was a story on the news last year about a police officer stopping & confiscating flowers that some girls had picked from the side of the road, apparently they had only picked a bunch of about 20 daffodils each :blush:
Think it was this one http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/27/polic...hoolgirls-picking-them-for-their-mum-6536455/

So the family were breaking the law, and were witnessed breaking the law by an officer. Instead of the guy saying 'oh, I didn't know it was illegal, sorry' he argued and ranted about his (non-existent) rights and how he paid his taxes and therefore the officers wages and videoed the officer (who had simply, correctly, advised them that their actions were illegal and confiscated the products of their illegal actions) as she carried out her duties. Wow, what a role model.
‘She explained it was illegal and then took the flowers off the girls which upset them and is why I started filming it.
‘I respect the police and the law but I feel like it could have been dealt with a bit better with some common sense.
‘It just really rattled me that she took that attitude.
‘It ruined Mother’s Day for the girls because they were looking forward to taking the flowers back to their mum when I dropped them off.’
David, who is separated from the girls’ mum, said he would rather have paid a fine so his daughters could keep the daffodils.
Instead of wanting to pay a fine, why didn't he just choose to nip into a garage and buy a bunch of legal flowers? I reckon that his arguing and escalation of the situation would be far more 'upsetting' to his kids.
‘The girls have been criminalised for doing something that everyone does.
‘I have always taught my girls to respect the laws and for the sake of picking flowers I now have to explain to my kids what they did wrong.
‘I just feel it was a bit of a waste of police time when you look at all the other crime there is going on in the area.
In what way does his behaviour in that video teach his daughters "to respect the laws"? And how have his kids been "criminalised" - there's no fine, no prosecution, no caution, nobody would even have heard about it were it not for him making a song and a dance about it. If me and my kids were seen doing something illegal, that we didn't know was illegal, and were simply given a bit of advice and asked to stop I would hope I'd look on it as a learning opportunity and a lucky escape rather than posting a video (confirming my illegal actions!) on youtube and expecting sympathy. How can we expect children to grow up with respect for the law and society if their parents seek to undermine it like this?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Might get a song out of it at least.

byegad

Legendary Member
You should see what gets snipped off for cuttings at national gardens. (National Trust , RHS etc.) Even seen it going on during guided walks. You’d be spitting.

My maternal grandmother was a serial offender. Often coming out of stately homes with four bags of 'cuttings they won't miss'. My late father, honest as the day is long, flatly refused to take her to any more after a visit to one home where she tried to recruit us kids as bearers.

Top Bottom