People who say "No problem!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I think many phrases are popularised with the best intentions and shouldn't fall under too much scrutiny. No worries is popular in Australasia and even though i haven't lived there for years, it sort of stuck with me. But I also use no problem sometimes. I might add that either of the above phrases, I only use if the recipient is overly worried about causing me inconvenience. So in my case in actually meaning "don't worry about asking me, it shouldn't cause either of us a problem".

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
No problem with me either. On the other hand, over here it's "too easy" that drives me mad :sad:
Bill Bailey was ranting about that on some TV show.
he took it as a challenge to make his requests increasing more difficult.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I once had a conversation with a bank bloke in a call centre who kept calling me "Mate". It irritated me but I said nothing until we were closing the call when I said:"Oh just one more thing... I'm sure you're a nice bloke and I'd probably enjoy a pint with you but I'm not your MATE! Customers are Sir or Mister!"

Blimey! We're not living in the 1950s ya know. Many companies now encourage their staff to ask the customers if they can call them by their first name. Supposed to be friendlier than Madam or Sir.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'd have been happy if the bloke had used my first name and nowadays they often do, after asking. But "mate" was too familiar even for my relaxed style.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Does anybody else find this expression irritating? It's very popular with younger folk and it irritates me because I think it's a tiny bit insulting. What it says to me is: "It might have been a problem but actually I managed to get it done for you anyway."

What's wrong with "My pleasure" or "You're welcome"?

Or should I just open another bottle and chill?
Another vote here for having no problem with “No problem.” “My pleasure” sounds a bit… sensual for most conversational transactions, and “You’re welcome” sounds like an immense favour has just been granted. Not that I have a problem with either coming out of someone else’s mouth, but they’re generally not for me.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I once had a conversation with a bank bloke in a call centre who kept calling me "Mate". It irritated me but I said nothing until we were closing the call when I said:"Oh just one more thing... I'm sure you're a nice bloke and I'd probably enjoy a pint with you but I'm not your MATE! Customers are Sir or Mister!"
I hate being called 'Sir', last time I looked nae fecker had knighted me, there's no need for these spurious 'honorific' titles from 'mate' to 'Love' or 'Sir' I find it generally patronising at best to insulting at worst.

Although I will admit to @mudsticks that I do tend to call women 'Gell' as in "Y'allright Gell" when I see a female friend.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I hate being called 'Sir', last time I looked nae fecker had knighted me, there's no need for these spurious 'honorific' titles from 'mate' to 'Love' or 'Sir' I find it generally patronising at best to insulting at worst.

Although I will admit to @mudsticks that I do tend to call women 'Gell' as in "Y'allright Gell" when I see a female friend.
Frankly, you're the sort of riff-raff that shouldn't be allowed in communities like this :laugh:

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
No but the OP seems to be :whistle:

That's an easy and cocky putdown for somebody who is older than yourself and therefore automatically an old fogey. Just remember that one day you'll be old and you'll be moaning about slipping standards. It's something that happens to people as they age and see the world changing around them.

Top Bottom