People who say "No problem!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I hate being called 'Sir', last time I looked nae fecker had knighted me, there's no need for these spurious 'honorific' titles from 'mate' to 'Love' or 'Sir' I find it generally patronising at best to insulting at worst.

Although I will admit to @mudsticks that I do tend to call women 'Gell' as in "Y'allright Gell" when I see a female friend.

Ahem..

It's 'madam' to you,
we'll have less of such familiarity.

Standards dear boy, standards. :rolleyes:

If I get annoyed with being overly 'Loved' by unreconstructed guys I might sometimes return with 'Petal'
'Sweet-cheeks'
or a 'Darling' or two of my own.

Either in my best Celia Johnson, or channelling Sid James..

Depending on mood. :okay:

Once we're north of the Pennines however they can love and pet me all they like, as I can do it right back. ^_^

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I do have some sympathy for the OP. Though language is constantly changing, that doesn’t mean we have to follow it willy-nilly. My wife’s current bugbear is the now ubiquitious “myself”, as in “Myself and my partner are socially distancing ourselves from repugnant grammar.” I personally like a wide variety of expression: a giant mash-up, if you will.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
That's an easy and cocky putdown for somebody who is older than yourself and therefore automatically an old fogey. Just remember that one day you'll be old and you'll be moaning about slipping standards. It's something that happens to people as they age and see the world changing around them.

I guess it depends on your pov, I'm getting 'older' (as we all are) but I find it fascinating to see language conventions change, as they always have.

That's why we're no longer speaking Middle English.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Our staff on the retail side and also dealing with trade customers were instructed to never say “ can I help”. Good morning or afternoon was quite enough for an opening gambit.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's an easy and cocky putdown for somebody who is older than yourself and therefore automatically an old fogey. Just remember that one day you'll be old and you'll be moaning about slipping standards. It's something that happens to people as they age and see the world changing around them.
I’m not exactly a youngster however, I have a lot of colleagues in their 20s and none of their use of language bothers me one jot. Indeed I say no problem a lot in spoken and written form. Language evolves, just appreciate the changes. Adapt your own language if you want, or don’t. Why’s it slipping standards? It’s just change, or different. Why is your use of language better than anyone else’s? It’s just a form of communication, getting a message or idea across. ‘No problem’ used in the context you’re griping about is hardly ambiguous or unable to be understood surely?

One thing I do object to is being called pal or mate or some other blokeyism on here as it assumes that everyone who may frequent a cycle forum is male :rolleyes:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I do have some sympathy for the OP. Though language is constantly changing, that doesn’t mean we have to follow it willy-nilly. My wife’s current bugbear is the now ubiquitious “myself”, as in “Myself and my partner are socially distancing ourselves from repugnant grammar.” I personally like a wide variety of expression: a giant mash-up, if you will.

Fnarr.. Snorffle..

He said 'willy' :rolleyes:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’m not exactly a youngster however, I have a lot of colleagues in their 20s and none of their use of language bothers me one jot. Indeed I say no problem a lot in spoken and written form. Language evolves, just appreciate the changes. Adapt your own language if you want, or don’t. Why’s it slipping standards? It’s just change, or different. Why is your use of language better than anyone else’s? It’s just a form of communication, getting a message or idea across. ‘No problem’ used in the context you’re griping about is hardly ambiguous or unable to be understood surely?

One thing I do object to is being called pal or mate or some other blokeyism on here as it assumes that everyone who may frequent a cycle forum is male :rolleyes:
Cor ! Blimey love, I didn’t know you’re a bird.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cheep cheep :laugh:

mustang1

Legendary Member
Does anybody else find this expression irritating? It's very popular with younger folk and it irritates me because I think it's a tiny bit insulting. What it says to me is: "It might have been a problem but actually I managed to get it done for you anyway."

What's wrong with "My pleasure" or "You're welcome"?

Or should I just open another bottle and chill?

I thought "my pleasure " was worse than "no problem" because they're probably lying. I wouldn't expect any work to be a pleasure no matter how much you enjoy it (well maybe sometimes).

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

Well the name is somewhat ambiguous darling..

You should have called yourself "Vicky Victoria Lady Woman" .. JUST so as to make things clearer for the hard of thinking.. :okay:

I chose that expression on porpoise.

Well we all need a porpoise in life 🐬

There's a few on here that have said as much to me - but only half in jest :rolleyes:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Well the name is somewhat ambiguous darling..

You should have called yourself "Vicky Victoria Lady Woman" .. JUST so as to make things clearer for the hard of thinking.. :okay:

Well we all need a porpoise in life 🐬

There's a few on here that have said as much to me - but only half in jest :rolleyes:
Probably me darlin’.

Top Bottom