Perfect commuting light – MagicShine or Cateye?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I think you're right -I now have a "mark" on the garage doors that I align my lights to. I put previous "dazzles" down to a poor aim - I just never expected bike lights to generate that much output. Then again, I hadn't ridden for 20 years before last winter!
Well at 37 I've only just started riding again following 20+ years out the saddle, and whilst I'm enjoying my 28.5 miles 3 times a week (even if it's wet and wild like this morning :blink: ) I'm conscious that this will be my first winter of cycling and I'd like to be prepared!!

I'm intrigued by the Asteri 6 now having found them for only £56... just not sure they're quite right for my commute route. Still swithering on the MJ-816 with the combination of flood and powerful spot. Decisions, decisions :unsure:

I just figured 2 beams were better than one. It's ideal for my commute but ultimately go with your gut instinct.
I remember that 1st winter back well - especially December!! Oddly enough I'm actually looking forward to this one.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I just figured 2 beams were better than one. It's ideal for my commute but ultimately go with your gut instinct.
I remember that 1st winter back well - especially December!! Oddly enough I'm actually looking forward to this one.

Unfortunately my gut doesn't have an instinct, but I do need to spend as little as possible, get as much "bang for my buck" so to speak, and I do need to see more than I need to be seen (although that's important too!). I think the MagicShine fits that bill, but then you're happy with the Asteri 6 (available at a knock-down price of £56) and others favour the Hope (£80) – both are cheaper than the MJ-816 (£93).

I'm looking forward to the winter myself, but my wife isn't happy with me commuting in the dark. Not sure quite how I'm going to convince her I'll be fine. Maybe if I had some decent lights......... :laugh:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
On occasions where I need to use full power on my magic shine but i'm around other cyclists or road users then I will put a hand over the top of it to cut the beam off and to not blind them. Not a problem.

Cubist

Still wavin'
In terms of bang for buck I'm afraid the Hope is getting a bit dated now. Can't comment on the Asteri.

The side Cree lights on the MagicShine are enough for road riding at night on their own. The command switch is also a dimmer switch, so you can bring the whole thing down to about 5% if you are worried about dazzling drivers. I shield mine if anyone is coming straight at me on the road.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
In terms of bang for buck I'm afraid the Hope is getting a bit dated now.

The LED in the Hopes (1,2 and 4) is a bit old hat now (there is a new 8 coming out...mega bucks), but they are bloody good lights - might not be powerful enough for off road descending (Hope 1), but commuting and dark lanes = great - get two then you are in for full speed road riding. They are quality bits of kit, no worry about duff batteries as all sorts of quality AA's are available.

Hope would be on a winner if they offered LED upgrades - send back and pop in a new LED. :tongue:

BUT choose a light that suits you - think about the use, the faff taking on/off bike etc. etc.

I've just ordered a MS 808E to leave on the MTB - will be great on the winter off-road route to work.

Update on my Asteri's. Followed a woman who works in my office for the last 0.5 mile of commute today. Her comment was they were the brightest lights she'd seen on a bike. I specifically asked if they were dazzling and her comment was that they were just like a set of normal dipped car headlights (so no!).

Other things I should mention. Contrary to some reviews I've read - the Asteris have 3 settings: low constant beam, high constant beam and flash - and each unit can be operated independantly - so you can have one high constant beam and one flash. Btw: when I say high, I mean high output - not a "lifted" beam.

One other thing to mention and not sure if this affects other lights or not. If you have a wireless cycle computer then the lights can affect it. I have a Sigma 1909 and with either of the lights in "low contstant" beam then there is interference with the cadence and heart rate receivers. At least, that was the case on the old bike - not been tested on the new one yet.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Update on my Asteri's. Followed a woman who works in my office for the last 0.5 mile of commute today. Her comment was they were the brightest lights she'd seen on a bike. I specifically asked if they were dazzling and her comment was that they were just like a set of normal dipped car headlights (so no!).

Other things I should mention. Contrary to some reviews I've read - the Asteris have 3 settings: low constant beam, high constant beam and flash - and each unit can be operated independantly - so you can have one high constant beam and one flash. Btw: when I say high, I mean high output - not a "lifted" beam.

One other thing to mention and not sure if this affects other lights or not. If you have a wireless cycle computer then the lights can affect it. I have a Sigma 1909 and with either of the lights in "low contstant" beam then there is interference with the cadence and heart rate receivers. At least, that was the case on the old bike - not been tested on the new one yet.
Thanks SquareDaff, and interesting to know about possible interference (I do have a wireless computer, Trek Incite 8i IIRC).

Given that I can currently buy the Asteri 6 new for £56, I'm increasingly intrigued.... seems like pretty good value for money at that price.

What I'd really like to see before I buy anything is a photographic comparison between headlights that illustrates relative illumination and beam pattern. Does such a resource exist anywhere?

Thanks SquareDaff, and interesting to know about possible interference (I do have a wireless computer, Trek Incite 8i IIRC).

Given that I can currently buy the Asteri 6 new for £56, I'm increasingly intrigued.... seems like pretty good value for money at that price.

What I'd really like to see before I buy anything is a photographic comparison between headlights that illustrates relative illumination and beam pattern. Does such a resource exist anywhere?

I can take a picture of mine - but that wouldn't give you a comparison against the other models you're considering. I don't know if such a site exists. Does anyone else out there?

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Non. Hope Vision 1 is where it's at :tongue:
I'm not 100% convinced... at the end of the day though, I'm not really going to know how any light performs on my commute route until I'm actually, er, using it :sad:

I can't believe someone hasn't compiled specs and photographic evidence comparing various headlight options... it'd be invaluable to be able to see how the Hope compares with other setups such as RSP, Electron, Exposure, MagicShine etc...

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Hope vision 1 vs magic shine mj808. both on full power.

5128943831_04cd922666_b.jpg

5128944525_7ea1207abf_b.jpg

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Hope vision 1 vs magic shine mj808. both on full power....
Thanks Gaz – looks like the MJ808 throws out significantly more light than the Hope, and therefore would be better at illuminating the road directly in front of the bike. You wouldn't have a comparison with the MJ-816 would you (although I guess the main light on the 816 is the same as the 808)..?

Wobblers

Euthermic
If you go for a Magicshine I'd suggest the MJ808E. It has a more up to date Cree XML led which is more efficient and brighter than the P7 in the older 808. The beam shape is narrower so it'll project further down the road and be less dazzling (aimed properly!) to other road users. It's also cheaper than the 816!

I have a RSP Asteri 3 on one bike. It puts out enough light to go at 15-20 mph on dark lanes, is solidly put together, lasts ages and has a horribly antisocial flashing mode that is useful for those dark, grey days (which I wouldn't use at night: it's far too painful even when you're behind the light!!). It's a surprisingly good little light. Asteri seem to produce decent lights.

Top Bottom