Perfect commuting light – MagicShine or Cateye?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
If you go for a Magicshine I'd suggest the MJ808E. It has a more up to date Cree XML led which is more efficient and brighter than the P7 in the older 808. The beam shape is narrower so it'll project further down the road and be less dazzling (aimed properly!) to other road users. It's also cheaper than the 816!

I have a RSP Asteri 3 on one bike. It puts out enough light to go at 15-20 mph on dark lanes, is solidly put together, lasts ages and has a horribly antisocial flashing mode that is useful for those dark, grey days (which I wouldn't use at night: it's far too painful even when you're behind the light!!). It's a surprisingly good little light. Asteri seem to produce decent lights.
Mmm... with the Magicshines, would you recommend the 808E over the 816 then?

Since I have been cycling at over 20mph (as long as it's not too windy!) on the unlit sections of my commute... given your experience of the Asteri 3, do you think the Asteri 6 (I know the design is different, but it is essentially 2x 3W lights) would be up to the job at around 20-25mph?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've just ordered the 808E, mainly as it was cheap. The 816 has a great spread of light, and can be dimmed.

The 816 is more expensive obviously. It's your choice.

albion

Guru
I'd suggest the LIDL light is more than fine at about 5 times the light of the traditional light.Its certainly 'commuter shaped' and well designed for rechageables with the low light indicator coming on at 4 volts.My cree is for off-road only and have to say am well impressed with the LIDL design.The LED is recessed ceiling mounted with the angled half dome mirroring generating a decent and safe light spread.

That looks like it was photographed on snow which will give a misleading impression. Its how it performs on wet black tarmac that is the test IMO

Scroll through t he pix for the Hope Vision 1. http://www.bikeradar...e-lights-28195/

That shows just how bad some of the lights will be on the road. They light the trees to the top of the picture which means to avoid dazzling cars you will need to have them virtually pointed down at the front wheel. Others are clearly much better at keeping the light down where its useful to see where you are going rather than illuminating tree tops and dazzling other road users.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Non. Hope Vision 1 is where it's at :tongue:

Here is why Id choose the Hope Vision 1 over the Magic Shine though I think they are both the best ones you can get on todays market

Hope Vision 1 is One Unit
Magic Shine is in 3 parts, Lamp, Wire, Battery Pack

Hope Vision 1 looks better
Magic Shine Looks a mess on the bike having two units and a wire.

Hope Vision 1 is a quality product made in England
Magic Shine is well made though not as good IMO

Hope Vision 1 uses regular batteries AA and regular AA rechargeables (Great if your stuck out anywhere)
Magic Shine uses special batteries. Not available everywhere and more expensive.

Also I have no doubt because of Magic Shines above flaws it will be discontinued within a few years where as Hope being Hope will be selling the units for many many years to come.

So thats why I choose the pedigree over the dog

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
That shows just how bad some of the lights will be on the road. They light the trees to the top of the picture which means to avoid dazzling cars you will need to have them virtually pointed down at the front wheel. Others are clearly much better at keeping the light down where its useful to see where you are going rather than illuminating tree tops and dazzling other road users.
Which was my original point... seeing (and being seen), but not at the expense of burning other road-users retinas. I'm all for these high-power, high-performance lights, and whilst they're obviously geared towards the off-roaders, having illumination as good (or better) than car headlights for hurtling down unlit road/cycle-paths would be confidence-inspiring to say the least.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Here is why Id choose the Hope Vision 1 over the Magic Shine though I think they are both the best ones you can get on todays market

Hope Vision 1 is One Unit
Magic Shine is in 3 parts, Lamp, Wire, Battery Pack

Hope Vision 1 looks better
Magic Shine Looks a mess on the bike having two units and a wire.

Hope Vision 1 is a quality product made in England
Magic Shine is well made though not as good IMO

Hope Vision 1 uses regular batteries AA and regular AA rechargeables (Great if your stuck out anywhere)
Magic Shine uses special batteries. Not available everywhere and more expensive.

Also I have no doubt because of Magic Shines above flaws it will be discontinued within a few years where as Hope being Hope will be selling the units for many many years to come.

So thats why I choose the pedigree over the dog
Thanks YahudaMoon :smile:

Personally speaking, well machined it may be, but I'm not fond of the look of the Hope 1 (a bit like a dinky drinks can) and there's really no reason why a separate light unit and battery needs to look messy when fitted, or indeed be less convenient. Although I'd have a spare light (and batteries) with me on the commute, I also really don't like the idea that the Hope 1 just switches itself off without warning when there's no longer sufficient juice in the cells.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I've looked again at those pics in the link that Cubist posted, and I really don't think they show the Hope in that good a light (oops, pun alert :whistle: ).

Being able to compare photos shows that the Electron Terra 2 seems to give a similar amount of illumination to the Hope 1, but with more spread, and more of the path lit up – which I think is a better beam pattern for commuting IMHO.

One light that stands out for me though is the NiteRider MiNewt 250 Cordless... it seems significantly brighter than both the Terra or the Hope for similar money, and has both good spread and throw from a single unit. Seems to get a favourably 4* review on the bikeradar site, and better yet, the 250 unit actually appears to be discontinued (?), with a more powerful 350 lumens version being it's replacement.....

Does anyone have any personal experience of these NiteRider lights?

vorsprung

Veteran
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11751.0

Is a slightly out of date group test for lights

I use the German B&M lights which plonk all the light in a flat beam on the road surface.

Some people prefer MTB lights as they splunge a wide tunnel. Of course there is only a finite amount of light available from a bike lamp so if it is lighting up the hedges at the side of the road it is not being thrown ahead. If it is being thrown ahead it is not showing sideroads as well. There is always a bit of a trade off.

Fans of the Magicshine claim that it is so very über powerful that the light will allow enough forward throw for traveling fast and you can see the hedges
ISTR that on full pelt it does 900 lumens. A car headlamp on full beam is 1500 lumens. But battery life on full power would be limited

The main problem I've heard of with the Magicshine are occasional reliability issues

If I had to go out tomorrow and get a battery powered lighting system my two choices would be

1) budget 2x tesco LED torches, try and get Cree based ones, on lockblocks
2) money no object, 2x B&M Ixon

The reason for having two lights is that it makes the system more reliable and also allows extra plus super light in poor conditions

Both systems run off standard AA batteries, get 2 sets of rechargable 2900mah NiMh

My winter commuting bike has a B&M IQ Fly powered by a Shimano hub generator

tyred

Legendary Member
By definition, the perfect commuter light would be dynamo powered - unlimited run time, always there when you need it and bolted to the bike so unlikely to be nicked.

vorsprung

Veteran
By definition, the perfect commuter light would be dynamo powered - unlimited run time, always there when you need it and bolted to the bike so unlikely to be nicked.

Battery lights are usually cheaper. If they can be removed from the bike then they are more secure than a generator light

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I guess so, but I don't like the idea of the extra expense of a dynamo hub just so I don't have to re-charge batteries (be they AA or proprietary Lithium). Given the sub-£100 price bracket I'm aiming for, I think battery lighting would offer better illuminance per pound would it not?

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
If I had to go out tomorrow and get a battery powered lighting system my two choices would be

1) budget 2x tesco LED torches, try and get Cree based ones, on lockblocks
2) money no object, 2x B&M Ixon

Just Googled 'lockblocks' and they look like an interesting solution, and these 900-lumens (cough) torches wouldn't exactly break the bank..... remind me why I'm looking at expensive lights again :huh:

Just remembered... you usually get what you pay for :whistle:

Top Bottom