Personalized adverts versus privacy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
The other day I was watching some.movie on TV. The intervals came up and the adverts stsrtes rolling

Every single one of those adverts was not for me. Every single one was highly annoying. Some stupid dancing, some stupid crap they were selling, I hated them all!

So it go the thinking about privacy versus personalized adverts and quite frankly, o to have to put up with adverts , then I might as well watch ones that appeal to me. When I watch YouTube videos and the presenter is doing a good job, I watch the entire advert when it comes up (most of the time) because I like what they are selling and also to give that YouTube channel a few coins for a job well done .

postman

Legendary Member
It is about time there was a ban on all betting adverts.Try watching a sports prog and all and sundry are pushing betting.

Gary E

Veteran
Targeted adverts just make me want to buy stuff when, prior to seeing the advert, I was blissfully unaware of its very existence!

I don't bet, nor do I want to release equity from my home or start paying instalments towards my funeral, so I'm pretty safe watching the general pap that you get with un-targeted ads :smile:

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Over the years I think I've cracked it. Often times I have no idea what is being advertised. I won't engage with the paradigm. If I'm interested in buying anything (need something) I just Google that particular thing.

Jimidh

Veteran
Over the years I think I've cracked it. Often times I have no idea what is being advertised. I won't engage with the paradigm. If I'm interested in buying anything (need something) I just Google that particular thing.
You probably do without realising it as a lot of advertising is about reinforcing brand recognition and not just quick impulse buys.

When we start googling what you want most of us look at out for stuff we recognise.

If it didn’t work there wouldn’t be millions spent on advertising.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
You probably do without realising it as a lot of advertising is about reinforcing brand recognition and not just quick impulse buys.

When we start googling what you want most of us look at out for stuff we recognise.

Subliminal. Yes probably

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

I used to work for a large shoe manufacturer/retailer. They used to advertise on TV with weird and wonderful adverts
Used to chat with the Head of Advertising. He made it clear that the adverts weren't to sell shoes. They were to make people remember the brand (and in the case of TV adverts, certain things to associate with the brand). Brand recognition was the metric they used to determine the success of the advertising

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
My latest hate is all the adverts using crap poetry. It seems to be the latest fad

Some of it is so bad - it could give the Vogons a run for their money

D

Deleted member 26715

It's a cultural thing I worked for a UK company in the late 90's which got bought out by a US firm, they tried to bring their high pressure sales techniques with them, although we warned them they wouldn't be told & pushed forward. 12 months later they changed the process as they found the US love to be sold to the UK love to buy & will often recoil if pressurised.

Top Bottom