Pet hates when buying 2nd hand Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you wrap from the centre outwards, the overlap is on the wrong side and as your hands slip forward on the tops, the exposed edge will roll forwards. The professional way is from the ends to the centre.

This !! Cork tape is better end to centre. Careful use of electrical tape to finish off and jobs a good en.

My pet hate is when you go to see a bike and the owner has omitted to mention that the bike is full of scratches which detract from the appeal of the bike.

Sharky

Guru
When cloth tape was the fashion, I would have started at centre and tucked the end of the tape into the bar. Now use cork tape which is too bulky to tuck into the bar, so now start at the end and use sticky tape to finish off in the centre.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When I learned to tape bars in the 70s it was always from the inside, finishing at the bar end and sealing off with the plug. No sticky required. Tape was normally fabric. On my MAMIL rebirth some years ago I found that, along with other modern pointless flim flam like indexed gears, bar tape had got thicker and the accepted method was outside in, with the annoying sticky tape.

I tried wrapping modern fat bar tape the "right" way and I found that it doesn't sit as smoothly as fabric tape, and the edges get scuffed up if you do it the right way. So that's why the modern orthodoxy is to do things the wrong way, because the wrong way is right for fat tape on fat bars.

Usual disclaimer applies. I am an idiot and this may well be all cobblers.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
When I learned to tape bars in the 70s it was always from the inside, finishing at the bar end and sealing off with the plug. No sticky required. Tape was normally fabric. On my MAMIL rebirth some years ago I found that, along with other modern pointless flim flam like indexed gears bar tape had got thicker and the accepted method was outside in, with the annoying sticky tape.

I tried wrapping modern fat bar tape the "right" way and I found that it doesn't sit as smoothly as fabric tape, and the edges get scuffed up if you do it the right way. So that's why the modern orthodoxy is to do things the wrong way, because the wrong way is right for fat tape on fat bars.

Not 'cobblers' at all, very succinctly put. :bravo:

Fat 'cushioned' bar-tape xx(

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
When I learned to tape bars in the 70s it was always from the inside, finishing at the bar end and sealing off with the plug. No sticky required. Tape was normally fabric. On my MAMIL rebirth some years ago I found that, along with other modern pointless flim flam like indexed gears bar tape had got thicker and the accepted method was outside in, with the annoying sticky tape.

To be fair, I don't remember tyre pressures being as high as today, probably why we got away with fabric tape.

DEFENDER01

Über Member
Good to see a little discipline and orthodoxy getting back into the mix nowadays.
There is normally an easy answer to solve our problems. :ohmy:
upload_2016-6-20_0-35-26.png

Top Bottom