Pet hates when buying 2nd hand Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I have always wrapped from centre to bar end and just can't accept securing the end's with tape. I consider myself far from obsessive but taped tape would just wind me up and ruin my ride. Even using cork tape I manage to tuck the end in the bar end. I cannot say I ever noticed my tape rucking up either.
All immaterial now as my recumbent has foam handle grips and no tape.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have always wrapped from centre to bar end and just can't accept securing the end's with tape. I consider myself far from obsessive but taped tape would just wind me up and ruin my ride. Even using cork tape I manage to tuck the end in the bar end. I cannot say I ever noticed my tape rucking up either.
All immaterial now as my recumbent has foam handle grips and no tape.

well thats a few of us so its not just me being a plonker

Ajax Bay

Guru
Using adhesive or glue always seems like a cop out to me.
What's using adhesive or glue got to do with it, in directional terms?
Btw, my audax bike has neat plastic fittings (about 15mm wide, secured with a small screw) which terminate the tape (end to middle) about 5cm from the stem (in lieu of 'electrical' tape).

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What's using adhesive or glue got to do with it, in directional terms?
Well, the end plug fastens the tape, so if you start in the middle and finish at the end plug everything is tight and doesn't need stickiness. On the other hand, if you start at the end, the bit by the stem is dangling loose, so you just have to use gummy sticky tape to secure it.

If only someone would invent some neat plastic fittings (about 15mm wide, secured with a small screw) that would secure the tape without having to resort to glued tape. I suppose I could use jubilee clips, or .... hang on ...

Btw, my audax bike has neat plastic fittings (about 15mm wide, secured with a small screw) which terminate the tape (end to middle) about 5cm from the stem (in lieu of 'electrical' tape).

Well I never. I'll look out for those.

Back on topic, "the bikes all ok, but could do with a clean" says the seller

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
"mint condition" most of the sellers using the term wouldn't have a clue of it's origin

35degree stems pointing up

Not enough detailed pics

Pictures of bike with xyz wheels but bike is sold with abc wheels

Hip Priest

Veteran
I once drove an awful long way to buy some wheels that had 'never been used' only to find that they'd 'never been used on the road, just the turbo for a couple of years'.

Top Bottom