Peter Sagan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kies

I love the guy - brings youth and flair with him!!!
I hope he is the next Cav/Wiggo and takes the sport to the next level (clean of drugs)

montage

God Almighty
Is arrogance a crime when all you're really doing is expressing the truth?

Reactions: lay
OP
OP
Pedrosanchezo

Pedrosanchezo

Veteran
There is no doubting Sagan is good, but I think he comes across as a little arrogant, His celebrations at times most certainly present an exaggerated sense of his own importance and ability.
Some of the ways in which he comes across in interviews reminds me a little of Armstrong (in attitude, self belief, and arrogance... not for one moment suggesting any other similarity before I get accused of anything)
He possibly does V but i don't think he would be as appealing without his quirky humour. I think he is maybe a little mis-understood. Some see him as disrespectful but i personally see him as slightly cocky yet confident.
I think it would be a crying shame if he stopped his celebrations and became another robot in the peloton.
He's a showman. I for one love to watch the show. :thumbsup:

It's good to have characters like Sagan and others (eg Voekler) to liven things up a bitty, better than a bunch of autobots. He posted a good snap yesterday during the bus break scoffing a big slice of pie, nice one.
edit... pic can be seen here

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
He possibly does V but i don't think he would be as appealing without his quirky humour. I think he is maybe a little mis-understood. Some see him as disrespectful but i personally see him as slightly cocky yet confident.
I think it would be a crying shame if he stopped his celebrations and became another robot in the peloton.
He's a showman. I for one love to watch the show. :thumbsup:

He could be misunderstood, and he would not be the first person I have got wrong :unsure: I personally see Cav as being slightly cocky yet confident yet I do not see him as being anything more. When Cav speaks he comes across as a cycle fan, at times he is outspoken and says stupid things in the moment when driven by passion.
When I see Cav, Greipel, Matt Goss and others celebrate they seem overjoyed in their success and the achievement. They seem to be aware that they have just won a stage of an epic and historic endurance event. Sagan by contrast celebrates in a way that is egotistical and appears to be more about feeding his ego than genuinely being overjoyed by success and the achievement. His celebrations appear as if he is suggesting it was easy or a walk in the park at times, so I understand how he probably comes across as disrespectful to those riders who may have tried as hard as him but lack the talent or support required to achieve. I personally think Cancellara has a point.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Cancellara just doesn't like getting beaten. He can criticise Sagan if he likes but perhaps he'd be better off worrying about the shortcomings in his own team that eg allowed Cannondale to double-team him in the Strade Bianche recently, where the supposedly arrogant Sagan played a perfect team role to help his team-mate win.

And did we hear Sagan complaining that Ciolek did no work to help the attack in MSR yesterday, only popping up to nick it on the line? No, we didn't.

If anything, it's Cancellara with his silly, bitter comments who comes across as the arrogant one. Sour grapes.

Sagan has earned the right to celebrate his wins however the hell he likes.

The Couch

Über Member
I don't mind that Sagan celebrates quirky and therefore don't follow Cancellara's comment that he should tone that down: If he just won a race, he can celebrate it. As long as he is respectful in pre- or post-race interviews towards his opponents I don't see a problem and wouldn't consider him narcistic, egotistic or anything like that

Then again, I am personanlly starting to like Sagan less, since he is always jumping onto Cancellara's wheel and as a little bit of a Cancellara fan, I would like Sagan to focus on some other wheels as well. How the hell is Fabian supposed to win, if he always ends up going to the finish-line together with a better sprinter? :smile:

400bhp

Guru
Then again, I am personanlly starting to like Sagan less, since he is always jumping onto Cancellara's wheel and as a little bit of a Cancellara fan, I would like Sagan to focus on some other wheels as well. How the hell is Fabian supposed to win, if he always ends up going to the finish-line together with a better sprinter? :smile:

That's racing buddy.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Milan-Sanremo yesterday. 6.7km to go. Cancellara is presumably going after Sagan here to tell him not to sit on his wheel:
MSR.png

yello

Is arrogance a crime when all you're really doing is expressing the truth?

Arrogance isn't a crime fullstop.

Some people don't like those that sing their own praises, or seem too full of themselves, and I think we can all see why that might be - whether we share the view or not. But that's the point here I feel - it's all a matter of opinion.

If I were Sagan, I'd want to be aware of how people might respond to me, how my attitudes and celebrations might p*ss people off, and maybe temper them a little because I don't like to wind people up needlessly. But it's a moot point since I'm not Sagan! And, more to the point, Sagan being Sagan probably wouldn't care what others think! So we're kind of back to square 1!

Love him or hate him, your call. It's all pretty immaterial really. Personally, he makes me smile. Oh, and he's a bloody strong bike rider. I think all can agree on that.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I think Cav has already summed this up. Sagan can do what he likes as long as rides as awesomely as he does - and he'll ride even better once he learns a fuller range of tactics. I can't believe people are so frickin miserable about riders who add colour to a peloton which is generally quite anonymous.

zizou

Veteran
I for one like both Cancellera and Sagan and hope to see many great battles to come!

Although i do think they have the potential to cancel each other out with enterprising other riders (like Ciolek yesterday) taking advantage.

Top Bottom