England : Cambridgeshire Peterborough - Anyone up for a ride Sunday 14th April?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Weather is looking mild, if a little blowy :smile:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Have a good 'un. Sounds like Hlab's route will get the hard windward work out of the way early on, and give wind assistance when it's most needed, when you'll really appreciate the raised temperature. Looks like being dry too - could attract a few late entries from the South? (Not intended as a euphemism, before Fnaar homes in on this thread).

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I still need to clean my bike!! I may have to get up early.
I'll see you all at Peterborough at 0939.
@ Fluffles - I'll see you on the train at Sandy.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Good man, AC!
On train now, just passing Arlesey. And I'm on the singlespeed. :eek:

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
It was a tad windy today, but we didn't let that force us to focus on anything minor like heading in the right direction. After ten miles we eventually found roughly the direction to head in, but unfortunately the correct direction was head first into 47mph gusts. After a gruelling slog next to a rowing lake we stopped, took stock and thought long and hard about whether to continue. The promise of cake was just about enough motivation to struggle on, and a very tight three person peleton got us to the promised land of cake and tasty beverages (a.k.a Elton Hall).

The route back to Peterborough was mostly downhill and entirely powered by out former foe, the brutal headwind.

One of our number (TheDoctor) headed home via Peterborough Station and my new mate Marshmallow_Fluff and I headed off in search of the extra ten miles she needed before heading home to round up to a Metric century.

In the interests of experiencing everything the weather could throw at us we added experience of side winds to our earlier adventures with head and tailwinds. We headed out past the Key Theatre and along the river path to a town called Whittlesea, passed a man with a very strange grin indeed.

Time was running out for Miss Fluff to catch her train so we biffed back along the opposite bank of the river, pausing only for a quick bit of bike fitting advice, a quick bit of advice that sadly caused Marshmallow_Fluff to miss her train. We saw the man with the strange smile again, but he appeared to have mislaid it when I showed him my homage to his odd expression.

A very fine day with cheerfully adventurous company.

Strava - http://app.strava.com/activities/48751769

Endomondo - http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/176482687/4626205

Top Bottom