1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petite bike for a petite lady

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Mister Paul, 30 Aug 2007.

1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I work with someone in her 50s who wants to get back in to cycling.

She's 4' 10.5".

I've told her that there are women's-specific bikes that will go very small.

She can't get over the thought of going into a bike shop and trying what she sees as a childs bike.

Is there anything cheapish and obviously adult-oriented that she might be able to try.

I don't think the smallest Carrera Subway will be small enough for her.

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

I would try to persuade her to go with a child's bike.

3. Cunobelin

Cunobelin Legendary Member

Don't get caught up withthe "children's" tag, not a;; kids bikes are the heavy steel jobs you get from Halfords.

There is a company called Islabikes who make good quality "children's" bikes. However the components, frames and build are as good as you will get on an adult bike.

They are ideal for petite riders.

4. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Yeah, thanks, we have two Islabikes, and it is one of my missions in life to promote them at every opportunity.

Unfortunately, the lady in question is of the "how much?!?!?" school of cycle purchase.

If only the Subway was a tiny bit smaller.

5. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

They don't look that expensive, try pointing out how much she could save by using a bike as a regular means of transport, and it is sooo much more fun than a car:smile: