Petition for faster E-bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
No.
I don't own an ebike.
Surely if you want to go faster you would get a small moped. Putting a powered vehicle that is faster than current ebikes in unregulated, uninsured hands would be crazy. Tbh I think you are asking this in the wrong place.

Venod

Eh up
Im a shade under 19 stones weight

I would have to grow an extra set of limbs to get up 19 stones.

Sharky

Guru
Seems like history is repeating itself. Back in the 50's, mopeds were just power assisted cycles. Even the "comic" aka Cycling Weekly was called Cycling and Mopeds. I was young then, but remember reading my dad's copies.

Time passed and mopeds evolved and the two forms of transport diverged and cycling went back to human powered only. E BIKES will find their own niche as a form of regulated transport and cycling will return to human powered only.

I can't see anyone who cycles for the sheer enjoyment and benefits that cycling brings having any interest in signing this petition (as proven by the responses so far). If a keen cyclist choses to move on to an ebike it's usually for the reason of adding a bit of assistance rather than to keep up with traffic.
I would suggest if the OP has the ability, ditch the ebike and get a proper bike and learn to cycle in traffic.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
As above.

We have them here as Steve mentioned, max limit is 45kmh but for those you need to have a rear license plate, pay road tax and have insurance on the them, there’s also some rules on the helmet type required, seems reasonable to me.

figbat

Slippery scientist
You can already perfectly legally ride an e-bike at over 15.5 mph - as the petition points out.

But this...
Additionally, there are a large number of bikes in the UK that have bypassed or do not conform to the current legislation. Increasing it would prevent much faster bicycles from making their way onto the roads and paths.
...is nonsense. How does raising the legal assisted speed “prevent much faster bicycles from making their way into the roads and paths”? The much faster bikes that are already being illegally used will still be illegally used since 20mph isn’t going to satisfy many who choose to take this route, especially those on total propulsion models.

Last edited:
Top Bottom