Petition for faster E-bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If anything I'd like to see the power limit increased from 250W to 500W but retain the 15mph cut-off.

Sounds good to me. Very helpful when I am pulling a trailer. Struggling at 4mph on steep hills pulling a heavy trailer.

Im a shade under 19 stones weight and can do 15mph up a steep hill on my ebike.

There are different definitions of steep hills. No doubt you can do it carrying a Bergen full of wet sand and Milan missile on your back. Alas I can't and it appears that neither can @Electric_Andy!

Last edited:
The mandatory sticker or plate on the motor is a big giveaway, and if you can follow a wire from one end to another then you'll be able spot a dongle.
OK - thanks
So basically they checked fro the sticker - and then looked for a dongle that might be over-riding it

I do wonder about how easy it would be to but a bigger motor in and just put a forged sticker on - or swap a motor over and leave the sticker for the original one. I guess a proper bike person would probably spot that but I wonder about the Police checking things.

If you want to legally ride a 20mph ebike move the the US where that's the limit. On our local mountain bike trails I've seen a few folks riding mtb's capable of 20mph, and to be honest they can't handle the extra power. There's been a couple of nasty crashes on ebikes where I think riders are just riding too fast for the trail.

DRM

Guru
That went well then...
No from me too, if you want to go faster, pedal it, the clues in the name electrically assisted, not a motor bike

gbb

Legendary Member
Funny thing -........
As usual - people that are noticed are the ones that shout about things - then when you have a vote (or similar) then you find all the people who haven't been shouting..
A bit like News and current affairs then...delve in there and youd think the entire universe was left wing. But of course, when it comes to voting, you find all the people who havnt been shouting.:laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
Sadly, I don't do Faecesbook, because It a grown up.

You will note that I was very careful not to mention any political movement, viewpoint or party, as I wanted to keep my comments about being lectured to and the reaction of the silent majority, and not about politics. Looking at the puny numbers that have failed to vote for this proposition it seems the silent cycling majority are making their opinion known quite clearly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Reduce the maximum speed to 10mph. Then only people who actually need to ride e-bikes will ride them.
And who are these people who actually need to ride an e-bike, do you have a definitive list?

2. Anyone who wouldn’t cycle otherwise.
That is the main point

also include people who have some kind of problem - like asthma
I wouldn't be happy riding a normal bike more than 10 miles from home in case I don't have the breath left to get home
Not happened often - but when it does I can just put the bike in Turbo and go home on max assist

Also - people who want to commute into work but can't afford to get there sweaty - like teachers like what I was

Top Bottom