Petition for faster E-bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yebbut, what actually drove the decision for 25 kph ? It'd be interesting to know.
Could be a calculated trade off by boffins, speed vs battery drain and range, finding a mid point that works best.
Could be something along the lines of my argument, accepted general speed a cyclist is generally expected to be travelling at.
It could be arbitrary, just a figure some faceless technocrat thought of ?

We will probably never know but it might re-inforce the argument that 15.5 mph is just about right and proper.
Standardisation of different laws within member countries. 25kph being the most commonly applied speed limit in member countries.

D

Deleted member 26715

Yebbut, what actually drove the decision for 25 kph ? It'd be interesting to know.
You could say the same about 30mph, 60mph & 70mph being the standards for motor vehicles on our roads, take the 70mph for motorways & dual carriageways, it was originally unlimited, then in early 1970's it was made 70mph, looking at the advancement of braking systems & passenger safety it's logical it should now be much higher.

Slick

Guru
You could say the same about 30mph, 60mph & 70mph being the standards for motor vehicles on our roads, take the 70mph for motorways & dual carriageways, it was originally unlimited, then in early 1970's it was made 70mph, looking at the advancement of braking systems & passenger safety it's logical it should now be much higher.
Reaction times of the average human hasn't changed and it's now widely accepted that 30mph is too high in some settings.

D

Deleted member 26715

Reaction times of the average human hasn't changed and it's now widely accepted that 30mph is too high in some settings.
But it is still illogical, given as you say the reaction time hasn't changed, a modern vehicle can still stop in 1/2 the distance

Slick

Guru
But it is still illogical, given as you say the reaction time hasn't changed, a modern vehicle can still stop in 1/2 the distance
Probably straying a bit off topic but according to a road safety charity the reaction times quoted in the highway code have been underestimated for years and stopping distances should be increased. There are other factors to consider as well like volume of traffic and distractions within a modern vehicle.

D

Deleted member 26715

Probably straying a bit off topic but according to a road safety charity the reaction times quoted in the highway code have been underestimated for years and stopping distances should be increased. There are other factors to consider as well like volume of traffic and distractions within a modern vehicle.
I'm not arguing with you over the semantics & I would love to see speeds dropped in many places, but just like the E-Bike they are just an arbitrary number

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sadly they can now get to 30mph in a quarter of the time it took an old Cortina, Moggy Thou, Viva etc in fact some quite basic cars have acceleration that would put a 70's supercar to shame.

D

Deleted member 26715

Sadly they can now get to 30mph in a quarter of the time it took an old Cortina, Moggy Thou, Viva etc in fact some quite basic cars have acceleration that would put a 70's supercar to shame.
Some if not all modern production cars will also stop a hell of a lot quicker as well.

Mark pallister

Hello,
This is be my first post on a forum!
I’m essentially hoping to encourage people to sign a petition for the government to consider increasing the speed of an E-bike or peddle assisted bike from 16 mph to 20 mph.
16mph is fine once you reach built up areas however 16mph feels very slow on A roads where cars pass at 40 to 50 mph!
Petition link shared below:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/332333
Pedal harder or buy a moped

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Somehow missed this thread over Christmas :rolleyes:

NO from me.

The issue of ebike use and the speeds they achieve is a real hot potato. Ebike usage has exploded in the last 1-2 years and it is quite common to see people from all walks of life riding them including a large proportion of what can only be described as young, healthy males!
The main problem is the increased speed because although the riders are travelling much faster for less effort they have mostly not altered their behaviour to compensate for this. Ebike riders have continued to ride on ordinary pavements, shared use paths and in busy pedestrianised shopping areas but are now travelling 5-10mph faster than before and what makes matters much worse is that they are not slowing down when encountering people or obstacles.
A bike that can easily reach 15mph should be on the road and not mixing with pedestrians. My personal opinion is that the current 15.5mph limit is too fast and this should be reduced to 10mph or if the wish is to keep the current limit these bikes should be registered and insured while the users are licensed AND TRAINED.

D

Deleted member 26715

Somehow missed this thread over Christmas :rolleyes:

NO from me.

The issue of ebike use and the speeds they achieve is a real hot potato. Ebike usage has exploded in the last 1-2 years and it is quite common to see people from all walks of life riding them including a large proportion of what can only be described as young, healthy males!
The main problem is the increased speed because although the riders are travelling much faster for less effort they have mostly not altered their behaviour to compensate for this. Ebike riders have continued to ride on ordinary pavements, shared use paths and in busy pedestrianised shopping areas but are now travelling 5-10mph faster than before and what makes matters much worse is that they are not slowing down when encountering people or obstacles.
A bike that can easily reach 15mph should be on the road and not mixing with pedestrians. My personal opinion is that the current 15.5mph limit is too fast and this should be reduced to 10mph or if the wish is to keep the current limit these bikes should be registered and insured while the users are licensed AND TRAINED.
You missed the weight, if you're going to have a proper rant you have to include the extra weight of an E-bike with the extra momentum involved

Top Bottom