Petition for faster E-bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What - another one???
This was done in a petition last year - got a lot of publicity on some ebike web sites - and very little support.

I know there are a lot of people who think they should be able to go faster with power assistance - but the majority seem to think 15.5 mph is just fine

The current laws give us huge advantages - we are considered as normal unpowered bike so can use cycle paths, tracks and anywhere else a bike is allowed - if you start making them more powerful and faster (with assistance) then sdome or all of these advantages will start to get whittled away.
It will only need one accident where a 'new normal' ebike doing 20 hits someone and the Daily Fail - and others - will have a easy campaign about how dangerous they are. Next thing we end up having extra regulations or registration or something

Keep things as they are - if you want to go faster and have the skills to do it then peddle faster

gbb

Legendary Member
As an ebike rider out of necessity and permanently nowadays, it's a no from me.
I have no idea how the 25kph / 15 mph was originally arrived at, but it seems entirely sensible to me if you consider that is the speed many people are capable of cycling at. So the extension of that is that is around the speed the general public, peds, drivers, can reasonably expect a cycle to be travelling at.
Increase those speeds and all of a sudden, a lifetime worth of experience for everyone is thrown out the window. Reaction times, expectations of speed are all thrown in the air.
(Some) Ebikers have to stop thinking selfishly and consider their impact on everyone else if you increase the speed.

Last edited:

kynikos

Veteran
And then there's the other problem. Our driving licence tiers and vehicle classes are harmonised with the EU. It would require the UK withdrawing from a treaty, a change in primary legislation, and then specific statute changes, before it could be enacted - that won't happen because it then wouldn't be compliant anywhere else in georgraphical europe, and the whole licence harmonisation system starts to break down, and UK citizens then get stitched when we want to drive abroad.
Surely not - as of 1 January we'll be able to make our own rules and the rest of the world will follow? :whistle:

beepbeep

I took my MTB ebike to an MTB event last year...ebikes were permitted but the organisers were checking all ebikes to make sure they were road legal ...ebikes ( peddles ) and not S-Pedelecs ( those that could exceed 15mph assisted )

No from me too, I don’t see the point tbh. We have used ebikes restricted to 15.5mph and have managed cycle faster, so really they’re not restricted to 15.5mph as a maximum.
With the likely increase in use of e scooters too, I think we’re approaching serious accident issues as it is.

A no from me. I'd rather a petition to increase the battery capacity.
Have I missed something - is battery capacity limited??
or am I misunderstanding

beepbeep

Out of interest - How did they check??
ebikes have an approval mark on the frame and most UK ebikes use the Bosch / Yamaha / Shimano motors...Some were turning up with MASSIVE hub motors claiming they were only 250w motors ( yeah right ) and large frame mounted batteries...obvious !! I appreciate that the afore mentioned systems can be hacked to provide more were but bikes such as the STEALTH BOMBER with its mega wattage motors that can achieve speeds in excess of 60 mph are really obvious and were turned away

Saluki

World class procrastinator
No. Sorry.
The ex has an ebike and he is a menace at the best of times. The council ebikes here whizz about with novice riders on and They are dangerous- the novice riders, not the bikes - so 5mph would be madness.

if you want to do 20mph, work on your fitness. 20mph is not difficult.

Funny thing - ebike forums seem to be full of posts where people shout about how important it is that they can put a dongle on their ebike - or otherwise overcome the restrictions
but when someone actually tries to do something to increase it legally it turns out that loads of people are happy with things how they are.
As usual - people that are noticed are the ones that shout about things - then when you have a vote (or similar) then you find all the people who haven't been shouting..
It is a pity that there is not a way of specifically saying that you disagree with a petition rather than just sign it or not sign it

Hello,
This is be my first post on a forum!
I’m essentially hoping to encourage people to sign a petition for the government to consider increasing the speed of an E-bike or peddle assisted bike from 16 mph to 20 mph.
16mph is fine once you reach built up areas however 16mph feels very slow on A roads where cars pass at 40 to 50 mph!
Petition link shared below:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/332333
Good luck with that one!

Top Bottom