Petition for faster E-bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
reading some of the comments on here makes me laugh.......if a bike can go over 15.5mph it should be taxed, insured, licensed and riders trained hmmmmmm, that's all bikes then

remember there is NO speed limit for these bikes or any other bike, just assist limit

remember legal ebikes need to be pedalled to work, they just have assistance up to a certain speed, but all bikes can go over 15.5mph, which would mean all bikes should be taxed and insured, not just Ebikes

classic33

Leg End Member
reading some of the comments on here makes me laugh.......if a bike can go over 15.5mph it should be taxed, insured, licensed and riders trained hmmmmmm, that's all bikes then

remember there is NO speed limit for these bikes or any other bike, just assist limit

remember legal ebikes need to be pedalled to work, they just have assistance up to a certain speed, but all bikes can go over 15.5mph, which would mean all bikes should be taxed and insured, not just Ebikes
The point being raised, by @rogersDrogers, was an increase in the assist speed, not the actual speed achievable. The way he worded it, it appears that he wants to rely more on the assist than actually putting any more effort into going faster.

I've said before it may be the start of the call for all bikes to be taxed and insured, if e-assist bikes have their top assist speed increased.

Reading his post again, it seems that his may not be a legal e-assist. He's not been back since posting the petition, so we can't ask him to clear that point up.

jowwy

The point being raised, by @rogersDrogers, was an increase in the assist speed, not the actual speed achievable. The way he worded it, it appears that he wants to rely more on the assist than actually putting any more effort into going faster.

I've said before it may be the start of the call for all bikes to be taxed and insured, if e-assist bikes have their top assist speed increased.

Reading his post again, it seems that his may not be a legal e-assist. He's not been back since posting the petition, so we can't ask him to clear that point up.
i am aware of what point @rogersDrogers is getting at........its just the post from others stating that bikes that go over 15.5mph should be taxed, insured, registered and have trained riders.....that's the laughable bit, cause that would mean all bikes having that

D

Deleted member 26715

i am aware of what point @rogersDrogers is getting at........its just the post from others stating that bikes that go over 15.5mph should be taxed, insured, registered and have trained riders.....that's the laughable bit, cause that would mean all bikes having that
I think that is just your interruption of what you think they mean, I think it to means assisted level but we could both be wrong & they could mean something completely different

jowwy

I think that is just your interruption of what you think they mean, I think it to means assisted level but we could both be wrong & they could mean something completely different
if that's the case then they should put the word assist in the sentence, rather than allow people to make assumptions as to what they mean......but again an assist speed is just that, its an assist......an e bike can go way over that speed the same as any other.

why would someone need to be licenced, insured, taxed and trained just for that......crazy to me.

either way 15.5 assist is fine for my current needs and use.....

D

Deleted member 26715

if that's the case then they should put the word assist in the sentence, rather than allow people to make assumptions as to what they mean......but again an assist speed is just that, its an assist......an e bike can go way over that speed the same as any other.

why would someone need to be licenced, insured, taxed and trained just for that......crazy to me.

either way 15.5 assist is fine for my current needs and use.....
Maybe they should, but a lot of people respond from a mobile & make assumption what other people assumption will be

jowwy

Maybe they should, but a lot of people respond from a mobile & make assumption what other people assumption will be
i don't get what that answer means.......

just cause people respond using a mobile, it doesn't mean they cant type what they actually mean, rather than allow people to make assumptions on what they mean. Making assumptions is what normally starts arguments and then leads to other situations happening.

D

Deleted member 26715

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/l378iA8T0vfaGZ9h6" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
View: https://giphy.com/gifs/bbc-bbc2-bbc-two-l378iA8T0vfaGZ9h6
">via GIPHY</a></p>

classic33

Leg End Member
Maybe a sensible cc member should start a change.org petition to retain the current UK 15mph assist limit ?
I petitioned to get the current EPAC regulations changed back in 2006-2014 to include quadricycles. Before they changed, three wheels was the maximum allowed under the regulations.

You can fit a trailer which has a motor driven wheel, which can push you quicker than 20mph as it falls outside the current regulations.

I have written to my MP raising some of the points on the petition
especially some of the inaccuracies - such as the majority of cyclists supporting the idea

here is his response

"Thank you for your recent email regarding the speed limit for electric bikes.

I have written to the Minister at the Department for Transport raising the points you make. As soon as I have a response I will let you know. "

I also raised the problem of petition being able to be signed - but there being no way of complaining about them being inaccurate - or signaling a positive objection to the idea

I doubt I will get a meaningful response - but if I do I will let you know

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
The issue for me is the mingling with pedestrians on shared use pathways etc... Even at 15.5 mph, an ape on a bike could smash a child into smithereens and well, end anybody really... Yes yes yes any bike can do this including non assist but the issue is the sheer ease at which it would be possible on an ebike. You're not going to find many jumping out of their seats on a shared path on a non assist, I havent anyway and I often ride them. Have seen the occasional nob on a bike with a motor which I've had to step out of the way for. I've not seen one convincing piece of evidence in favour of increasing the assist speed by 4.5mph...

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I think the whole issue around electric bikes (not legal e-assist bikes) needs to be looked at. There is certainly a gap in the market for people who want to do 30mph everywhere without pedalling, but do not want the weight/noise/pollution issues associated with a moped. For example, why can't someone get a 1500W e-bike with a 28mph restriction, do a CBT, tax and insure it and ride it on the road? The only thing I can think of is the registration plate. Surely there would be a way these days of mounting some sort of smaller plastic digital tag that can be read by the authorities which pings up your reg number? Insurers would likely charge a lot more due to the ease of it being nicked, but I'm sure a lot of illegally ridden ebikes would be ridden legally if the means in which to do so were actually there.

It's no differernt to having an e-moped, but not everyone wants a step-through plastic fantastic machine that looks like a washing machine and weighs as much as 5 bicycles! Just a thought really.

Top Bottom