Petition for law change - Ebike Assist Limit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Not a clue as I don’t work on government transport policy.....I can only make suggestions based on what I am seeing on a day to day basis
American and Chinese companies were behind the europe wide investment.

Why change the(your) product, when it may be easier and cheaper to change the legislation.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Why change the(your) product, when it may be easier and cheaper to change the legislation.

Can you please explain??

raleighnut

Legendary Member
American and Chinese companies were behind the europe wide investment.

Changing the speed restriction down is pretty easy, it's just a matter of reprogramming the chip in the controller, the set up on both mine and Maz's bikes has no speed sensor but rather the controller has a maximum RPM device in the 3 phase controller unit that limits the frequency and therefore how quickly the motor can spin.

Again tarring all ebike users with the same brush.........

You don't have to tar all e-bikes users, just enough.
It may not.....but I have tweeted the minister for transport about the increase in e bike cut offs inline with his increase in c2w allowance for e bikes....

With current rhetoric around climate change, pollution and congestion. I can only see a plus side for the use of e bikes to help with these issues.

If it makes more pedestrians or cyclists use e-bikes instead of human-powered bikes how does that help climate change?

If it makes car or motor-bike users use e-bikes instead then that clearly helps the environment, but I believe many of those would want their new transport to run nearer to their old speeds, and as I said earlier, then watch regulation increase.

Isn't the truth that this is just about a want rather than a need as nobody needs more speed other than racers or those seeking excitement.? Nothing intrinsically wrong with that but there will be a cost to it, either in safety or regulation, or possibly both.

If people think that cyclists get a bad press now, you ain't seen nothing yet..

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Can you please explain??
If you've to change your product to meet a number of speed regulations, including those in your own country, how expensive in time and money.

Would it not make more sense to change the market restrictions, so that they are all the same?

PK99

Legendary Member
Changing the speed restriction down is pretty easy, it's just a matter of reprogramming the chip in the controller, the set up on both mine and Maz's bikes has no speed sensor but rather the controller has a maximum RPM device in the 3 phase controller unit that limits the frequency and therefore how quickly the motor can spin.

And changing it back up again just needs a laptop and a bit of tech savvy...

OP
OP
J

jowwy

If you've to change your product to meet a number of speed regulations, including those in your own country, how expensive in time and money.

Would it not make more sense to change the market restrictions, so that they are all the same?
Yes and no.....the Specialized Levo and most ebikes just need a software change via a pc, according to what country your in the software can be changed to match that ebike law.....it’s already built in.

So if you update software in the EU you only get the eu allowance settings, in the US you would be allowed to update the US allowable settings....it’s that simple. So a legislation change to US speed limits would just require a flash of the ebikes software to allow those limits

If that’s what your getting at

OP
OP
J

jowwy

An exponential back off in power assist would be far better and doesn't require a change in law. No feeling of pulsing on and off. Just a smooth backing off of assist. Sorted.
They already do that but you still have the feel of motor pulsing as the torque on the motor kicks in and out........it’s not just about power, assist, speed.....there are also other factors at play. Hope that helps yet again

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
They already do that but you still have the feel of motor pulsing as the torque on the motor kicks in and out........it’s not just about power, assist, speed.....there are also other factors at play. Hope that helps yet again

Well hardly the assist will be so low you'll not notice it. You'll really shouldn't be promoting strapping exponentially more powerful motors to bikes and not calling them motor bikes. Hope that helps yet again.

Top Bottom