Petition for law change - Ebike Assist Limit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
You have to pedal to get assist, but how hard? I’ve ridden e-bikes that felt like the pedal just had to have the weight of your foot on it to get the assist. It’s more like a switch.
Old ebikes with high torque motors maybe.....but not the newer ones with cadence sensors as i have already stated to you further up this thread

OP
OP
J

jowwy

To you too, time to put this thread on ignore, the merry go round has already started & it's become pointless
To non ebikers maybe..........lets start a petition to licence, register, test, insure etc etc all bikes that ride on the road if they go above 15.6mph. Lets see how that petition and thread would go

winjim

Smash the cistern
I have already answered post #19 on two occassions, you just dont want to see my answer.
With respect, I can't see that you have. You've said that you would obey the law, but that's not quite the same thing, and doesn't make sense when discussing a petition, the purpose of which is to change the law.

I think what @Phaeton is pointing out is that there has to be a compromise somewhere and he is asking you where you would put it. So of the two options, which would you prefer, restricted speed with no licensing requirements, or greater speed with more restrictive licensing?

Venod

Eh up
My personal opinion is that an e-bike that can operate up to 20 mph with assist will inhibit regular cyclists because it is so fast.[/QUOTE

Sorry to sound repetitive but 20 mph is not fast for a regular cyclist, so do the non assisted cyclists who ride up to 20 mph inhibit slower ones, I think not slow and faster cyclist have always managed together, I fail to see the difference between an assisted and normal cyclist travelling up to 20 mph.

I'm really not trying to be obtuse, but what is a "regular cyclist"?

Until recent illness, I commuted to work 5 days a week winter & summer round trip of 42km, so say 200 commuting kms per week.
At least one weekend in three I would go away camping on the bike, say another 100 km.

At least once a year I'd do a 3 or 4 week tour, fully loaded, typically 2000 km as well as several shorter ones.

Having said all that, my average commuting speed is about 21/22 kph. Not mph, kph.

Am I a regular cyclist or not?

OP
OP
J

jowwy

I'm really not trying to be obtuse, but what is a "regular cyclist"?

Until recent illness, I commuted to work 5 days a week winter & summer round trip of 42km, so say 200 commuting kms per week.
At least one weekend in three I would go away camping on the bike, say another 100 km.

At least once a year I'd do a 3 or 4 week tour, fully loaded, typically 2000 km as well as several shorter ones.

Having said all that, my average commuting speed is about 21/22 kph. Not mph, kph.

Am I a regular cyclist or not?
That something only you can answer......its for a different topic/thread

This post is about increasing the legal limit off assist on ebikes, which may or may not help and also may reduce the illagallity of de-restricting bikes and breaking the law while doing so...

It seems theres both support and nom support of this issue. Most non support is from the anti ebike fraternity.....lets hope they dont require to use one some day.

It seems that disagreeing with you means that im in the wrong and only the anti ebike fraternity counts.....you dont want otherd opionions because in your mind they shouldnt be allowed at any speed therefore any petiotion or debate in yout mind is futile...

You want me to explain my position but all i see from others is you can ride them but not on my secluded, segrageted nice piece of countryside. Which isnt very inclusive to say the least.

My point has been made on many occasion within this thread, but as you dont agree with me, then all you will ever see is an argumentative response that doesnt comply with your mindset.

As far as im concerned i have explained myself enough and will not be explaining myself over and over again, until you get the answer you want.....which is to comply with your opinion

Jeez......

First of all, stop deleting your posts! It kind of interferes with the flow.....

I have specifically asked you to explain your point of view. You don't want to? Fine. But seriously, telling me what I think is overstepping the mark.

For the record...
.you dont want otherd opionions because in your mind they shouldnt be allowed at any speed therefore any petiotion or debate in yout mind is futile...

I have nothing against Ebikes. I have said that several times. But Ebikes assisted up to 20 mph? No.

You want me to explain my position but all i see from others is you can ride them but not on my secluded, segrageted nice piece of countryside. Which isnt very inclusive to say the least.

Sure, we might as well be inclusive and allow cars on cycle paths too!:rolleyes:

Smudge

Veteran
Old ebikes with high torque motors maybe.....but not the newer ones with cadence sensors as i have already stated to you further up this thread

With cadence sensors you can put in as little or a as much effort as you want, so you can get max motor speed with hardly any effort at all, just by using a low gear.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

With cadence sensors you can put in as little or a as much effort as you want, so you can get max motor speed with hardly any effort at all, just by using a low gear.
Not with my ebike.....low cadence and low input, means low assist. If i soft pedallled, glass cranked what ever you want to call it, the bike would hardly move. Unless pointing downhill

Gary E

Veteran
There will always be people (much) faster than me whether powered or not so it's not the speed issue that bothers me. I guess I'm surprised (and happy) that eBike have stayed under the radar and are not controlled like mopeds. I think that if you start to give them extra speed then you'll lose this privilege which would be a shame for those that just want to use an eBike so that they can get out and about?

Top Bottom