Petition for law change - Ebike Assist Limit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Posted on behalf of @Crackle who just missed the lock prior to hitting the post button.

Having thought about this, I don't see the a reason why the limit shouldn't be raised. Will it be abused, are there people who would be dangerous on faster bikes, sure I bet there are in the same way lots of other things are abused, we don't legislate to the lowest common denominator though but we do have laws to catch people flouting legislation, so I generally think pointing to such occurrences is moot.

I also think that it's a bit of a pie chart as to who uses e-bikes and I don't think that the demographic is quite the same. Potentially e-bikes as cycle to work initiatives could be getting people out of cars and off the roads, this is a good thing, as is getting people generally out doing some form of exercise , even if it's lighter than what we as 'ordinary' cyclists would do.

Whether it should be 20mph is I suppose, up to debate, 15.6 is rather arbitrary, perhaps some compromise where the limit is a little higher with an ability to boost speed for short intervals of 30 seconds or so for getting out of situations which requires that extra speed, such as pulling away uphill at traffic lights, accelerating at junction, in much the same way we all give it a bit of welly for short periods when we need to but I think that needs to be looked at, not from our perspective but from the perspective of those outside our demographic.

The other question than is the mixing of two almost different forms of transport on mixed use facilities, that's rather more difficult to solve and I see this is a problem in the Netherlands now but of itself I don't think this is a reason not to think about allowing more latitude, like I said, we shouldn't legislate to the lowest common denominator.
If nothing esle has come of the clean up it's given someone the chance to like their own post, a rare treat :okay:

Venod

Eh up
Anybody with minimal experience would be able to ride an unrestricted e-bike at that speed.

Provided you have the fitness anybody can ride a normal bike at high speed, you don't have to be an experienced cyclist (but I do see your point)

Expanding on that a little. When commuting, or on a sportive if there is some "Dangerous Dick on a Bike", clearly daft, inconsiderate or novice, it is straightforward enough to put the hammer down briefly, gap them and settle back to normal speed. Having Dangerous Dick on an unrestricted e-bike would be a recipe for chaos.

You can always drop back and let them go ahead.

That something only you can answer......its for a different topic/thread

This post is about increasing the legal limit off assist on ebikes, which may or may not help and also may reduce the illagallity of de-restricting bikes and breaking the law while doing so...

It seems theres both support and nom support of this issue. Most non support is from the anti ebike fraternity.....lets hope they dont require to use one some day.

How have you worked this out?

Many of those against the petition said they are e-bikers.

I am against the increase, but I am not against e-bikes. In fact I plan to get one when I am older and need a bit more help.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I do get that this is and always will be an emotive subject. My E Bike has now allowed to get back into commuting on a regular basis without causing anymore undue damage to my right knee injury. It also allows to get home from work quicker than my old pedal bike as my return from work is 15miles and circa 1200ft if climbing over 9 miles of that distance. Using my ebike means I get home quicker as I don’t need to take stops to ease the knee, but also means I get home quicker, which allows my in-laws to be eliviated from the need to keep a longer eye over my ill and disabled partner....

By commuting more regularly, I have also been able to shed weight that I have gained from unregular riding due to knee issues and also means if I can commute, I don’t then require a weekend ride if my partners illness flairs up over the weekend and then require someone to look after her while I got out for some excercise/fresh air.

I also get that some people see them as a problem on MUPs, but I ride mine within the legal limits. It’s not been hacked, dongled or had the software manipulated for more speed.

I attached the petition to the post so that like minded individuals like myself who ride ebikes both socially and for commuting may be in the same predicament as me and would like to have the cut off speed increased as they also feel like me that the limit of 15.6mph is an arbitrary figure that doesn’t make sense.

If the government allows the increase at any point in time, but with that limit increase new laws are agreed. Then I would, as I do now, obey those laws.

There are anti all bikes and not just E bikes in all walks of society...I though a cycle forum maybe a place where this sort of anti bike rhetoric didn’t exist.

I hope this long extensive post helps to clear up my position.

Scaleyback

Veteran
I ride a 'pedal assisted bike' (Orbea Gain) I also ride a non-assisted road bike.
I see no reason to increase the E-bike assist limit. I think it is set about right.
If you want to go faster than 15.5(ish)mph then you can by working harder ! This will increase your fitness, that is a good thing.
Truth is I think most E-bikes are purchased by (and designed for) riders who in the main are probably not interested in going faster
than the current assist limit.
The recent spate of lighter, faster E-bikes, Orbea Gain, Ribble SLe, Cannondale Neo etc are probably being purchased by riders
who in the main would like the assist limit raised. However I would think many of these very riders are already more likely to be capable of propelling
their bikes over the assist limit. e.g experienced drop-bar riders riding lighter more aerodynamic bikes.
Just one mans opinion.

Venod

Eh up
This is why the limit needs raising, so you can still go out on club runs etc on a bike like this if your health or age is slowing you down, I know not everybody goes out with groups (rare for me nowadays) but some people enjoy it and I can see how this will enable them to keep up without slowing the group.

Venod

Eh up
I ride a 'pedal assisted bike' (Orbea Gain) I also ride a non-assisted road bike.
I see no reason to increase the E-bike assist limit. I think it is set about right.
If you want to go faster than 15.5(ish)mph then you can by working harder ! This will increase your fitness, that is a good thing.
Truth is I think most E-bikes are purchased by (and designed for) riders who in the main are probably not interested in going faster
than the current assist limit.
The recent spate of lighter, faster E-bikes, Orbea Gain, Ribble SLe, Cannondale Neo etc are probably being purchased by riders
who in the main would like the assist limit raised. However I would think many of these very riders are already more likely to be capable of propelling
their bikes over the assist limit. e.g experienced drop-bar riders riding lighter more aerodynamic bikes.
Just one mans opinion.

See post #20 for a reason to raise the limit.

dodgy

Something not discussed yet, with a higher easily achievable speed, effectively making a new category of ebike, should they not have beefed up brakes?

CXRAndy

Guru
Everyone has different requirements for assistance. I ride solo comfortably at 17mph. My wife complains when I ride at her pace 12-13mph. She cant unfortunately ride at that pace now for medical issues. But she want to go out still. Im converting her bike so she can have assisted power upto 19mph, so we can ride together. Outside the arbitrary 15.5/6 mph I wont worry about the setup Im building for her-she is not reckless, just wants to ride with me.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Something not discussed yet, with a higher easily achievable speed, effectively making a new category of ebike, should they not have beefed up brakes?
My disc brakes stop me on a dime......there is very little difference in stopping an 18st+ rider on a 20kg ebike to stopping a 18st+ rider on a 20kg tourer or two 18st+ riders on a tandem in the alps, to which I saw 2 years ago when riding there.

Scaleyback

Veteran
See post #20 for a reason to raise the limit.

I have read #20 (and all the others) This is one post that supports your view.
While I can totally see the posters view (who I know quite well from this forum) this does not change my opinion.
This situation will affect a small percentage of e-bike riders. i.e drop-bar, e-bike riders, riding in a group with others riding
non-assisted bikes. We have to be realistic and accept that the law cannot cater for (suit) all riders. If you raise the assist level to
20mph to suit club riders riding in mixed groups there are still going to be many on these 'faster' e-bikes who still cannot keep up.
In fact I'm sure most club riders are well capable of averaging over 20mph. So you have fulfilled the wishes of a small minority
of e-bike riders. The downside ? you now have potentially unlimited numbers of irresponsible riders (no age limit) charging about
on 20+Kg of projectile, a menace to themselves and others.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Folks keep referring to the 15.6mph limit as an arbitrary number. Far from it, it is the imperial conversion of 25kph the limit applied in the EU and Australia and looks far from arbitrary.
But not the figure used in the US or Canada

Top Bottom