Petition for law change - Ebike Assist Limit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Well hardly the assist will be so low you'll not notice it. You'll really shouldn't be promoting strapping exponentially more powerful motors to bikes and not calling them motor bikes. Hope that helps yet again.
Who said anything about more powerful motors......its a software change not a motor/power change

snorri

Legendary Member
Correct...but some people, especially on this thread can’t see that
There was nothing in the wording of the petition about special consideration for enabling people to keep abreast of their "buddies".

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
.......but when you can ride an ordinary bike at way above 15.5mph and car engines are not limited to speed or torque and motor bikes are not limited to speed or torque, then why should ebikes

If you want ebikes to be allowed to travel at motor vehicle speeds, that's fine by me - so long as they have registration plates, periodic safety examination, compulsory insurance & rider licencing and are forced to ride in the road and NOT on cycle tracks or shared use paths. There's enough irresponsible idiots tearing around on two wheels as it is, without adding to it.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
It would but there's a simple fix for that: a petition to raise the cut off to 24.4mph.
I would remove it altogether and just govern motor and wattage which is also within the legislation. Then they can be ridden at any speeds.......its only the assist speed thats governed. Above that if you have the leg power to keep a 24kg ish mtb going then all.power to the people.

More people using them to commute, less congestion on the roads, less pollution from petrol/diesel.......all win win

Venod

Eh up
If you want ebikes to be allowed to travel at motor vehicle speeds, that's fine by me - so long as they have registration plates, periodic safety examination, compulsory insurance & rider licencing and are forced to ride in the road and NOT on cycle tracks or shared use paths. There's enough irresponsible idiots tearing around on two wheels as it is, without adding to it.

A lot of normal bike riders travel up to 20 mph, I presume you wouldn't be happy for them to have, registration plates, periodic safety examination, compulsory insurance & rider licencing,
(some people think this is a good idea) you still have to pedal ebikes.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Some of the logic used on this thread doesn't make a great deal of sense to me. As we've seen on several 'top speed' threads, it's perfectly possible for a regular road bike to be ridden at speeds in excess of 100kph. Maybe we should set the ebike cutoff around that value.

And I know that these petitions enable everybody, including those without a lawyerly or political background, to engage with democracy, which is a good thing, but does anybody ever proof read the damn things?

Venod

Eh up
There was nothing in the wording of the petition about special consideration for enabling people to keep abreast of their "buddies".

There isn't but that would be one of the advantages of raising it to 20 mph, at least one person in this thread has cited that as a reason, see post #20.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Reminder - even if the cut-off is set at 20mph you would still have to PEDAL to attain that speed. We are not discussing motor bikes. How about this - a higher limit for eroad bikes, lower limits for ehybrids - to reflect the reality of the way these unassisted bike are ridden - then I could keep up with my buddies on long stretches when the speed drifts up over 15 mph

dodgy

You have to pedal to get assist, but how hard? I’ve ridden e-bikes that felt like the pedal just had to have the weight of your foot on it to get the assist. It’s more like a switch.

Top Bottom