Petition for law change - Ebike Assist Limit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
I thought I had finished with this thread, I have stated my reason why I would like a higher limit but.

There are a lot of people who have said they don't support a higher limit, some ebike riders and some ordinary bike riders, so I assume these people all ride responsibly and have regard for other uses, and if the limit was to be raised their behavior wouldn't change.

So why is it they think if the limit is raised we are going to be overrun with crazy ebikers.

MahatmaAndhi

Ok - lets have a higher limit for eroad bikes, and for those who can ride bikes properly and can ride responsibly. I've no idea how you'd enforce or administer this.

You can't. Which is why it's a bad idea to increase the speed limit.

As has been pointed out so many times, if you want to plough into pedestrians on pavements there's no limit on unassisted bikes, or ebikes over 15mph. Much of my ride earlier today was over 15mph - hard work!

You're a cycling enthusiast and I would hope that you avoid pavements as a rule. However, I see many people each day on the pavement and a few on e-bikes. All ages - school runners, commuters, school kids. They're not going at 15mph, but they are on the pavement, rarely slow down or even look when coming up to a junction and, more often than not, aren't, wearing a helmet. Increasing the speed limit will put them and whomever they smack in to in to more danger.
As I said before, make helmets mandatory before worrying about increasing the speed of assisted cycling.

MahatmaAndhi

There are a lot of people who have said they don't support a higher limit, some ebike riders and some ordinary bike riders, so I assume these people all ride responsibly and have regard for other uses, and if the limit was to be raised their behavior wouldn't change.

So why is it they think if the limit is raised we are going to be overrun with crazy ebikers.

The members of this forum are a drop in the ocean compared to the amount of bikers on the road. And, likewise, the amount of good, responsible riders is a drop in the ocean compared to the amount of morons we have to share the road with.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
As I said before, make helmets mandatory before worrying about increasing the speed of assisted cycling.

I'm assuming you mean for drivers and pedestrians who suffer the majority of head injuries. And of course there's Australia who as a country has shown us mandatory laws for plastic hats REALLY work :wacko:

Wrong thread @Moderators Please feel to delete if I am breaching forum regs.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Just licence E Bikes, Simple.

Because licensing car drivers works does it?

Reactions: gbb
Nah. If you want to go at ‘traditionally accepted’ high road bike speeds, an e bike isn’t the answer. You’ll get folk who are ill equipped to handle those speeds, doing those speeds. The increased speed proposed will just encourage people to by pass the motor scooter, because they don’t have to pay tax and insurance on an e assisted pedal cycle. It’s asking for trouble in my opinion.

Top Bottom