Petition for law change - Ebike Assist Limit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upandover

Guru
Signed.

johnnyb47

Guru
I think E bikes are a fantastic invention for all the reasons stated in this post but i do think they will become a victim of their own success.. In the beginning most Ebikes where a very expensive and niche purchase, and the buyers of them where "by and large" sensible folk who would respect there expensive purchase, but as of all things E bikes are now cheap enough to be bought by the masses. Like all things that become cheaper its opened up a door for everyone to buy one which means there going to be abused by some. Give it a few years and there will be a big market in companies selling electronics to bypass there governed speed's,Irrespective to whether the law states they should do 15.6 or 20mph
If a young teenage lad wants his bike to travel along at 25 plus to impress his mates he's going to do it and not care about the law. Its was no different back in the my days of riding a 50cc restricted moped. They were so easy to derestrict them. I personally hope this craze doesn't happen to Ebikes because it will only mean one thing. Tougher legislation on them which is not in the true spirit of cycling or Ebikes to us mear mortals but as all things in life i think it will sadly

D

Deleted member 26715

but as of all things E bikes are now cheap enough to be bought by the masses.
Seriously, I think they are still stupidly expensive

booze and cake

probably out cycling

At the current rate the signatures are trickling in, this going to fall well short of the 10,000 signatures needed by Dec 2019 for the Govt to even respond to this petition, never mind the 100,000 signatures needed for it to be considered for debate in Parliament.

Despite that I'd bet e-bikes, e-scooters, e-long boards and the like will be debated in Parliament before that. Their use is really growing here in London, we had the e-scooter death near where I live in Battersea recently, and I'm sure we're going to see more in the coming months, and that is going to fast-track it for debate sooner rather than later.

I was driving in central London earlier this week and got undertaken by a guy on an electric long board, he then caught a rear wheel in a manhole cover that was recessed by no more than an inch, and suddenly veered 2-3 feet into the middle of the road, he almost fell off before he managed to correct the steering angle, but he had no time, or balance to pull any kind of effective stopping. I caught the expression of sheer terror in his eyes, and I'm sure he experienced some of his own wee or pooh coming out.

Luckily I was going slow enough and saw him coming so gave him a wide berth, but that could easily have ended very differently. At least the e-bikes have decent brakes, but I'm sure we're going to see a sharp rise in accidents that is going to bring much more scrutiny on all e-modes of personal transport, and I think we're going to see the opposite of leniency, and more restrictions.

Last edited:

Smudge

Veteran
At the current rate the signatures are trickling in, this going to fall well short of the 10,000 signatures needed by Dec 2019 for the Govt to even respond to this petition, never mind the 100,000 signatures needed for it to be considered for debate in Parliament.

Despite that I'd bet e-bikes, electric scooters, long boards and the like will be debated in Parliament before that. Their use is really growing here in London, we had the e-scooter death near where I live in Battersea recently, and I'm sure we're going to see more in the coming months, and that is going to fast-track it for debate sooner rather than later.

I was driving in central London earlier this week and got undertaken by a guy on an electric long board, he then caught a rear wheel in a manhole cover that was recessed by no more than an inch, and suddenly veered 2-3 feet into the middle of the road, he almost fell off before he managed to correct the steering angle, but he had no time, or balance to pull any kind of effective stopping. I caught the expression of sheer terror in his eyes, and I'm sure he experienced some of his own wee or pooh coming out.

Luckily I was going slow enough and saw him coming so gave him a wide berth, but that could easily have ended very differently. At least the e-bikes have decent brakes, but I'm sure we're going to see a sharp rise in accidents that is going to bring much more scrutiny on all e-modes of personal transport, and I think we're going to see the opposite of leniency, and more restrictions.

I fear you're probably right. With seeing more and more non road legal ebikes and scooters these days, i really hope they don't put blanket legislation on all of us. Those of us that use legal ebikes, could have restrictions put on us, because of those that use illegal ones.
If measures are put in place just to target the non road legal ones, then i'll be happy with that. But i have a feeling that wont happen.
If the day comes that i cant use an ebike with all the freedoms of bicycles, i for one will start losing interest in them.

D

Deleted member 26715

Those of us that use legal ebikes, could have restrictions put on us, because of those that use illegal ones.
But isn't that like everything even 70mph on the Motorways, yes there is a need at times, but should it be the same at 8am, 12pm, 6pm 4am, whether it's dry, raining, snowing anybody with half a brain would modify their speed, unfortunately it appears that less than 1/2 of the UK population has less than 1/2 a brain.

Top Bottom