Petition for law change - Ebike Assist Limit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
It was in jest I admit !! However what has speed got to do with your disability?
If you read my earlier posts you'll know that after a lifetime (60 years or so, so far) of riding 'conventional' bikes I've developed a condition that prevents my riding very far unassisted and for very long at much over 15 - 16mph without some help (that's why I bought an Orbea Gain). I ride with a club - social rides. Not fast rides. I can only keep up over 15.5mph for long distances with a lot of pain. A 20 mph cut off (as in the US) would be very helpful. Selfish perhaps, but there it is … just have to put up with it.
Edit: - and I don't want a moped, motor bike, overpowered emtb - just a little bit of help, which the Orbea provides perfectly well, up to the arbitrary assistance cut off speed of 15.5 mph.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

I ride with a club - social rides. Not fast rides. I can only keep up over 15.5mph for long distances with a lot of pain. A 20 mph cut off (as in the US) would be very helpful. Selfish perhaps, but there it is … just have to put up with it.
A social ride of over 15.5mph doesn't seem that social to me, it sounds like too much hard work.

youngoldbloke

A social ride of over 15.5mph doesn't seem that social to me, it sounds like too much hard work.

There seems to be a hell of a lot of confusion about this I am NOT saying we ride at an AVERAGE of over 15.5 mph. Social ride groups don't. Most times we will average around 12 mph over a ride of 25 - 30 miles. Don't you ever reach 15.5 mph or more? It's not that difficult on a road bike, in fact it's very easy on the flat, but for me over that it just becomes very painful quite soon.

Levo-Lon

Guru
There seems to be a hell of a lot of confusion about this I am NOT saying we ride at an AVERAGE of over 15.5 mph. Social ride groups don't. Most times we will average around 12 mph over a ride of 25 - 30 miles. Don't you ever reach 15.5 mph or more? It's not that difficult on a road bike, in fact it's very easy on the flat, but for me over that it just becomes very painful quite soon.

Great aren't they, and perfect for just the people like yourself

D

Deleted member 26715

Calm down you think it ought to be higher I don't that's all there is to it no need to get upset.. But no I very rarely get up to 15 mph on the flat, but then I don't ride road bike's anymore.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

If they are riding fast on the flat doesn't sound like they are being very accommodating to you. I'd ask them to slow down, they will still hit the 12mph average. After all it is meant to be social, not a chain gang. You can all go faster on the downhills.

Smudge

Veteran
Personally, I think lowish cut-off speed is a good trade for not having compulsory insurance, registration, or tests of competency.

I agree.... Plus having the privilege of being allowed to go wherever bicycles can go.

youngoldbloke

If they are riding fast on the flat doesn't sound like they are being very accommodating to you. I'd ask them to slow down, they will still hit the 12mph average. After all it is meant to be social, not a chain gang. You can all go faster on the downhills.
Point is, 15.5 mph is NOT fast. I WANT to be able ride comfortably with the group at over that speed - I can and do - and if necessary the group wait too. I'm not out for a pootle. The reality is that a lot of club riders get very bored hanging around, and in my experience if you try to promote slower rides the numbers tail off.

youngoldbloke

Calm down you think it ought to be higher I don't that's all there is to it no need to get upset.. But no I very rarely get up to 15 mph on the flat, but then I don't ride road bike's anymore.
…. well there you go.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
You need a more social group.

youngoldbloke

- I'm obviously not going to convert anyone to my point of view so I see no point in contributing anything more to this thread, or reading repetitious comments about motorbikes or mopeds. So no more from me here!

rivers

How far can I go?
Point is, 15.5 mph is NOT fast. I WANT to be able ride comfortably with the group at over that speed - I can and do - and if necessary the group wait too. I'm not out for a pootle. The reality is that a lot of club riders get very bored hanging around, and in my experience if you try to promote slower rides the numbers tail off.

Tell that to the 175+ people who turn out nearly every week when the weather is nice in my club. There is a ride for everyone. From the 12-13mph pootle to the guys averaging 20mph+

Top Bottom