Petrol driven bicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Just passed me here in Bristol on my way to lunch. Heard the 'angry wasp in a tin can' sound from behind that usually betrays a moped but no...bloke on a 'normal' pushbike but with a petrol lawnmower type engine powering it. He pedalled a bit up Redcliffe hill leaving a trail of whiffy smoke behind him.

Just wondered how many laws this was potentially breaking?...no helmet, no plates, probably safe to assume no MOT, no insurance, no licence etc. But I expect in a court, he'd probably argue that its just like an ebike, motor assisted. I wonder what the CC cycling solicitor would say on this?.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Totally illegal. There is a lad near where our caravan is, that has one that will do about 60 mph. It's bolted to a BSO. Shudders thinking of a BSO doing 60.

classic33

Leg End Member
Motorbike, not legal on the road with no plates.
I'd also say it'd require type approval as a kit build.

Alex321

Veteran
Just passed me here in Bristol on my way to lunch. Heard the 'angry wasp in a tin can' sound from behind that usually betrays a moped but no...bloke on a 'normal' pushbike but with a petrol lawnmower type engine powering it. He pedalled a bit up Redcliffe hill leaving a trail of whiffy smoke behind him.

Just wondered how many laws this was potentially breaking?...no helmet, no plates, probably safe to assume no MOT, no insurance, no licence etc. But I expect in a court, he'd probably argue that its just like an ebike, motor assisted. I wonder what the CC cycling solicitor would say on this?.

He can argue what he likes, it won't wash.

There are specific laws defining an e-bike and what its limitations must be. Anything outside those laws classes as a motor vehicle, and must meet all the relevant rules. And I'm not sure it is even possible to get individual type approval for a motorbike - they aren't included in this document.

It is almost certainly completely illegal for him to ride it on the road at all. And then as you say, it would also be in breach of MOT/insurance/helmet laws

Jody

Stubborn git
They might as well just ride a motor cross or something as they are both as illegal as each other.

tom73

Guru
I spotted one locked to bike rack in town a PCSO was passing I told her about. She did not understand at 1st and thought it was a bike I pointed out it had an engine and fuel tank botched on. "Oh yes your right I will have a word with him". A few days later he went speeding past me on the main road. So her plan clearly worked. :wacko:

PapaZita

Guru
My grandfather used to have one! Possibly a Raleigh Cyclemaster or similar, built into a wheel. He would to ride to school with my mother, switch on the engine, and put his hand on her back to assist her up the hills. Probably early 1950s. I don’t know what the rules about mopeds were back then, but I suppose it predated any helmet laws. They were apparently quite popular in the post-war years.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I’ve seen a young gentleman round my ends on two occasions riding what looks like like a keirin derny. He was riding it with some enthusiasm and no shirt.

presta

Guru
My grandfather used to have one! Possibly a Raleigh Cyclemaster or similar, built into a wheel.

My father used to have one that drove the rear wheel via a roller on the tyre like a this Trojan Minimotor:

1525127039_f192851ee4_b.jpg

Top Bottom