Petrol Prices - time to take action

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
PETROL IS CHEAP TO MOST PEOPLE!

If it were not they would not drive such huge great cars around and 4x4s at high speed doing their best to use up the fuel in their tanks!

It is easy to half the cost of fuel- get a car that does twice the MPG.

Oh look no takers for that. They are all buying Range Rovers and moaning at the cost of petrol.

With a limited resource like oil it is bound to get expensive if the demand out strips supply. Same as land. They have stopped making it.

I get 55-60 mpg from my car and do not suffer from going at a steady speed or not having four wheel drive. My car is the cheapest way to get around and fuel is not costing me as much as depreciation so get over it.

People seem to be up in arms at the little things in life like plastic bags or 10p on fuel. I use about 600 l of fuel in my car per year. If fuel goes up 10p it is only costing me the price of a family meal out per year extra.

LLB

Over The Hill said:
PETROL IS CHEAP TO MOST PEOPLE!

If it were not they would not drive such huge great cars around and 4x4s at high speed doing their best to use up the fuel in their tanks!

It is easy to half the cost of fuel- get a car that does twice the MPG.

Oh look no takers for that. They are all buying Range Rovers and moaning at the cost of petrol.

With a limited resource like oil it is bound to get expensive if the demand out strips supply. Same as land. They have stopped making it.

I get 55-60 mpg from my car and do not suffer from going at a steady speed or not having four wheel drive. My car is the cheapest way to get around and fuel is not costing me as much as depreciation so get over it.

People seem to be up in arms at the little things in life like plastic bags or 10p on fuel. I use about 600 l of fuel in my car per year. If fuel goes up 10p it is only costing me the price of a family meal out per year extra.

My car does crap MPG. What this does do is make me think very hard about whether the journey is necessary, and consequentially, this in turn cuts down the mileage I do in it from about 12,000 to about 5,000 miles per year

It could be easily argued that if people were driving thirstier cars, then the load on the infrastructure would be substantially lower and could take half the cars off the road making them a nicer place to be for drivers and cyclists alike, and then people like you wouldn't moan about sitting in traffic jams all the time ;)

Jaded

Some numpty parents at school were complaining about the drop-off provision of car park spaces.

"The spaces are just too small" whined one.

"They didn't use to be" replied I, stopping short of "They weren't designed for Vanity 4x4s like yours".

walker

We should be questioning the miles we drive anyway, regardless of engine size. Not just because we're forced to.

A colleague was complaining to me yesterday about the cost of fuel and VED. she has three kids, a Range Rover Sport and a Mercedes Coupe. I reminded her that there are much more frugal and cheaper 7-seaters around if she really wanted that many seats. She looked at me like I was speaking Korean.

Not two hours later she was talking about how she wanted a new car and that the XC90 is currently top of her list.

Afraid to say some people have more money than sense. if she is that thick then she deserves to lose out on her money

GaryA

Subversive Sage
linfordlunchbox said:
This IPCC scaremongering is going to backfire with spectacular effect with the world economy collapsing and millions starving to death needlessly with the massive hike in veg oil crop prices.

All IMO of course!

You know LLB even when your given the benefit of the doubt you still come up with glib mindless drivel like this...which we normally see from simoncc or dumbtyler ;)

'IPCC scaremongering' has nothing to do with current problems and everything to do with globalisation hitting the wall and speculators diving into commodity investments

U

User482

And as LLB is unable to offer an iota of evidence for his opinions, they continue to be worth the square root of sod all.

domtyler

Über Member
Not two hours later she was talking about how she wanted a new car and that the XC90 is currently top of her list.

Yeah, the XC90 is probably what we will be getting too, a nice motor all said and done.

domtyler

Über Member
Gary Askwith said:
You know LLB even when your given the benefit of the doubt you still come up with glib mindless drivel like this...which we normally see from simoncc or dumbtyler :smile:

'IPCC scaremongering' has nothing to do with current problems and everything to do with globalisation hitting the wall and speculators diving into commodity investments

Do you ever stop nagging you irritating little troll? ;)

Alcdrew

domtyler said:
Yeah, the XC90 is probably what we will be getting too, a nice motor all said and done.

And one of the most eco...

Volvo said:
the Volvo XC90 is the only premium standard 7-seat SUV available which achieves a sub 225g/km figure in both manual and automatic transmissions.

U

User482

domtyler said:

Yes, I can see why off-road capability is important for the mean streets of London.

domtyler

Über Member
User482 said:
Yes, I can see why off-road capability is important for the mean streets of London.

It has a lot of capacity for carrying stuff, prams, bikes, luggage, shopping etc. It is extremely economical with the diesel/automatic options. We go to Dorset visiting family a lot which is very muddy. It is also extremely safe for the occupants. ;)

U

User482

domtyler said:
It has a lot of capacity for carrying stuff, prams, bikes, luggage, shopping etc. It is extremely economical with the diesel/automatic options. We go to Dorset visiting family a lot which is very muddy. It is also extremely safe for the occupants. ;)

1. It has no more capacity than any number of more economical estate cars.
2. It isn't economical. It has CO2 emissions at best of 219 g/km, which is the second worst category for VED. You'll be lucky to see more than 30mpg.
3. I've driven plenty of times in the Dorset lanes - I've never yet got stuck in my ordinary hatchback.
4. It's no safer than many other decent cars.

I can only conclude that fuel is not yet expensive enough.

domtyler

Über Member
User482 said:
I can only conclude that fuel is not yet expensive enough.

You would have to increase fuel costs a great deal more to impact on me personally, an extra tenner a week doesn't even get noticed. Don't forget that I cycle to work and back every day so my annual mileage is very low compared to people who have to drive every day.

No, increasing fuel costs will hit the people who can least afford it, those on low incomes and the elderly mainly. Especially if they happen to live in rural areas, like Dorset for instance.

I would like the government to give a good hard kick in the teeth to the environmentalists and cut fuel duty to make it more affordable in the short term for those who would benefit most. There needs to be systems put in place over the long term to move a great deal of the traffic onto alternative transport methods, like rail, but these options are just not there at the moment.

The majority of road journeys are done, not for pleasure but for business. The government must wake up to this and do whatever is necessary to allow people to continue to carry out their day to day business and not bring this country to its knees in the name of eco-madness.

U

User482

domtyler said:
You would have to increase fuel costs a great deal more to impact on me personally, an extra tenner a week doesn't even get noticed. Don't forget that I cycle to work and back every day so my annual mileage is very low compared to people who have to drive every day.

No, increasing fuel costs will hit the people who can least afford it, those on low incomes and the elderly mainly. Especially if they happen to live in rural areas, like Dorset for instance.

I would like the government to give a good hard kick in the teeth to the environmentalists and cut fuel duty to make it more affordable in the short term for those who would benefit most. There needs to be systems put in place over the long term to move a great deal of the traffic onto alternative transport methods, like rail, but these options are just not there at the moment.

The majority of road journeys are done, not for pleasure but for business. The government must wake up to this and do whatever is necessary to allow people to continue to carry out their day to day business and not bring this country to its knees in the name of eco-madness.

Until such time that more sustainable solutions are available, we need to conserve oil by driving the most economical vehicles we can, as infrequently as we can.

It's quite obvious that the XC90 is nothing more than a status symbol for the insecure so clearly fiscal instruments are not yet hitting hard enough.

Top Bottom