Petrol Prices - time to take action

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
User482 said:
Until such time that more sustainable solutions are available, we need to conserve oil by driving the most economical vehicles we can, as infrequently as we can.

It's quite obvious that the XC90 is nothing more than a status symbol for the insecure so clearly fiscal instruments are not yet hitting hard enough.

There is no shortage of oil, there is plenty of oil. The high prices are a result of demand outstripping current supply because production levels are being artificially kept low. There is also a lot of involvement by speculators that has helped to drive up global oil prices.

I agree that, long term, we need to look for alternatives. But, we should not cripple the country in the mean time with a massive tax burden on fuel. Ease the pain now by cutting fuel duty. At the same time invest in alternatives.

LLB

Gary Askwith said:
You know LLB even when your given the benefit of the doubt you still come up with glib mindless drivel like this...which we normally see from simoncc or dumbtyler :smile:

'IPCC scaremongering' has nothing to do with current problems and everything to do with globalisation hitting the wall and speculators diving into commodity investments

Of course nothing to do with the IPCC leaning on Bush and as a result him pledge for the US to be using 75% less oil from the middle east by 2025 ;)

U

User482

domtyler said:
There is no shortage of oil, there is plenty of oil. The high prices are a result of demand outstripping current supply because production levels are being artificially kept low. There is also a lot of involvement by speculators that has helped to drive up global oil prices.

I agree that, long term, we need to look for alternatives. But, we should not cripple the country in the mean time with a massive tax burden on fuel. Ease the pain now by cutting fuel duty. At the same time invest in alternatives.

Anybody who is buying a new gas guzzler is in no position to argue for a cut in fuel duty.

Demand is outstripping supply because of increased demand. Get used to it, cos it ain't gonna change.

U

User482

linfordlunchbox said:
Of course nothing to do with the IPCC leaning on Bush and as a result him pledge for the US to be using 75% less oil from the middle east by 2025 ;)

That really is laughable. The White House has been intervening to water down climate change reports for many years. In fact, Regan was instrumental in setting up the IPCC in such a way that they could never agree on anything.

domtyler

Über Member
User482 said:
Anybody who is buying a new gas guzzler is in no position to argue for a cut in fuel duty.

Yes I can. I can call for an improvement in the quality of dog food if I like too, even though I don't eat it myself.

Fuel duty affects every aspect of life for the entire population. The environmentalists are holding this country to ransom and forcing us all to suffer because of their crackpot ideas about what is best for us. They don't tell us that they are really only concerned with the eco-sphere and don't give a damn about actual real people.

User482 said:
Demand is outstripping supply because of increased demand. Get used to it, cos it ain't gonna change.

It can change and it will change. OPEC will eventually cave in to pressure to open the taps another couple of turns. The price will then start to fall off again. Before that you will see the latest Gordon Brown U-Turn when he cuts fuel duty.

LLB

User482 said:

There are 300 years production available from the tar sands in Canada IIRC.

They became viable when oil hit $65 per barrel. It isn't going to be many years before these fields start adding substantially to production.

Where there is money to be made, the investment in oil extraction will follow. Oil prices are totally unsustainable ATM and they will fall.

U

User482

linfordlunchbox said:
There are 300 years production available from the tar sands in Canada IIRC.

They became viable when oil hit $65 per barrel. It isn't going to be many years before these fields start adding substantially to production.

Where there is money to be made, the investment in oil extraction will follow. Oil prices are totally unsustainable ATM and they will fall.

Silly boy. Oil from tar sands is vastly more expensive to produce.

U

User482

domtyler said:
Yes I can. I can call for an improvement in the quality of dog food if I like too, even though I don't eat it myself.

Fuel duty affects every aspect of life for the entire population. The environmentalists are holding this country to ransom and forcing us all to suffer because of their crackpot ideas about what is best for us. They don't tell us that they are really only concerned with the eco-sphere and don't give a damn about actual real people.

It can change and it will change. OPEC will eventually cave in to pressure to open the taps another couple of turns. The price will then start to fall off again. Before that you will see the latest Gordon Brown U-Turn when he cuts fuel duty.

You're being even more foolish than usual. Green taxes have fallen under this government, so your comments about environmentalists are pure prejudice on your part.

It's accepted by most independent observers that OPEC have been overstating their reserves for decades - the era of cheap oil is over so the sooner we get used to it, the better.

Any opinion you have on the level of fuel duty is the worst kind of self-serving hypocrisy.

LLB

User482 said:
Silly boy. Oil from tar sands is vastly more expensive to produce.

http://zfacts.com/p/218.html

Canadas reserves in this form are bigger than Saudi

U

User482

linfordlunchbox said:
http://zfacts.com/p/218.html

Canadas reserves in this form are bigger than Saudi

The level of reserves is not the issue. The fact that two tonnes of tar sand are required to produce one single barrel of oil is. They are of extremely poor quality and hence are highly energy intensive. They have only started to become economically viable recently so will do nothing to reduce fuel prices. Given the level of environmental destruction, I find it inconceivable that Canada will allow extraction to increase to a level that will make a significant difference to world reserves.

LLB

User482 said:
The level of reserves is not the issue. The fact that two tonnes of tar sand are required to produce one single barrel of oil is. They are of extremely poor quality and hence are highly energy intensive. They have only started to become economically viable recently so will do nothing to reduce fuel prices. Given the level of environmental destruction, I find it inconceivable that Canada will allow extraction to increase to a level that will make a significant difference to world reserves.

Canada now gets half of its oil from the tar sands even with the limited production facilities curtailed by low barrel cost. Give it another 5-10 years and they will become a big exporter of refined oil products.

Top Bottom