1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pets

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by MarkF, 16 Sep 2007.

1. MarkF

MarkF Guru

Just got my cat back from the vets today, he's been in a week for a lot of work doing. The final bill was £1213.00:ohmy:

I am looking at him now and "seeing" my dream bike sat there. Now if I had known the cost prior to commencing treatment, I am ashamed to say I honestly don't think I would have gone ahead.;)

Would you spend £1213 on a pet? He's not even a pedigree one mind, just a common moggy.

2. ash68

ash68 New Member

sorry mate would have bought the bike then seen what money was left over for the cat.;) A bike is for life not just for christmas, sod the cat.;):biggrin:

3. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

You're both nasty bits of work!!! A cat is a darn sight more fabulous than a bike!!!

Anyway, theres' no excuse for not insuring the cat!

4. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

Have done!

As far as I'm concerned, when I take a pet on then I take on the responsibility for its health & welfare & if that includes a substantial vet bill, so be it. That's why I've not got zillions of cats - I can afford to look after the number I have, but no more. My three cats are family - just non-human members of the family - and they are my responsibility to look after.

Besides which - my Waffles looked after me when I suffered a long, chronic illness - she hardly left my side. So I returned the favour when she was in need of major medical care.

5. ash68

ash68 New Member

yeh,perhaps I was a bit harsh. Could have bought a bike for £1200, Then gone to cat and dog shelter for a new cat. £13 for funeral service for the old cat in the back garden. Best of both worlds,sorted.;):biggrin:

6. Panter

Panter Just call me Chris...

PMSL ;)

Seriously, that is a tough call. If my dog was ill then I'd spend what I could to get him well. £1213.00 is a bloody lot of money though:eek:

cheers

Chris

7. OP
    OP
    MarkF

MarkF Guru

:biggrin:

It's not as the kids take much notice of him since he's no longer a kitten. Black and white cats are ten a penny, I don't think it would have taken long to get one that looked pretty much the same....................;)

[​IMG]

I knew insurance would be mentioned but after I spent £300 on the bloody thing in the spring I reckoned that he would not have any more "accidents". Not very sensible I grant you, but then I don't wear a helmet either.:laugh:

8. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

Our pet Cocker spanial is insured...thankfully. However I would have to say that if he wasn't and it came down to a choice between his life and a new bike the bike would loose. He's one of the family....a bike is just a bit of metal at the end of the day.

...mind you , you said 'cat' right?;)

9. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

You must be totally off you rocker. £1300 on a stinking cat? It would've been over in two seconds with a spade in the back garden for me and i'd be a lot richer. £1300 on a stinking cat? What the hell is the world coming to?

10. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

Your cat's VERY cute. You spent the money wisely. But seriously, get him insured. You'll never regret it.

11. stevenb

stevenb New Member

I love cats....they are part of the family...any pet is....we were lucky with our cat TC....through his 22 years he only required basic servicing....lol....as he was a big strong moggy. I miss him dearly. ;)

12. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

It's a cat!!! £1300 chuffing quid, thats a couple of mortgage payments:ohmy:

I'd have left it in the tree!! If it happens again, and your local, I don't mind arranging an "accident" for you, I'll do it for oh, shall we say £500:evil:

13. Bigtallfatbloke

now you have got me thinking....should i insure the goldfish?

14. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

well you never know when a great white that's got lost finds its way to your goldfish bowl...

15. Bigtallfatbloke

..good point....i'll call fishplan in the morning.