Pets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Tetedelacourse said:
If my mutt had a bill like that ....

....it would be a duck.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Glad the op went well - we had a tough year with one of ours a couple of years back...fortunately insured - cost would have been £1.5k..... we even did the --should we carry on..... in the end, removing all the cat's teeth cured the problem - some sort of rare virus - even the vet went on a conference to get more info on it - bit like gingivitus, but alot more stubborn.... she's fine now.... aged 12.....

We pay about £28 for the older two cats (12 years old) and about £11 for the 1 year old..... all are moggies - 2 x silver tabbies, and a ginger and black furry tortie...... all been fairly fit, but just a simple procedure costs a lot.....

Anyway, they are part of the family........ sod off you animal haters......

We had a lovely wired haired jack russell bitch. Great dog, was very friendly, no problem with kids, but she was a bugger for running off in the evening when out on her walk around the fields by my parents and not coming back until the early hours.

Anyhow, she was getting on and she developed heart and liver problems. Took her to the vets, he told us the good news she was treatable. The bad news was the cost of the medication! This was before pet insurance was widely known about. So we had to pay, IIRC, £30 a month on tablets. She was such a good dog I had no problem with the cost, but it was still a lot for such a small dog.

Then we discovered that one of my uncles was taking the same medication, on prescription, and was throwing away unused tablets! It was 4 years before we had to take the dog to the vets again. He thought she'd died!

buggi

Bird Saviour
i think people are horrible to each other and that's why a lot of people choose to leave their money to animal charities. All suffering in the world, whether to humans or animals, is caused by HUMANS.

we are pretty much detrimental to this world so is it any wonder some people choose to love animals more. i don't think it's that surprising.

personally, i don't put an animals life above a humans, but if i loved an animal, then i would in all probabality put it before a new bike if i had the cash sitting in the bank already. if i didn't have the cash i would seriously have to weigh up whether i could afford it, but if the cash is already there and my pet needs me then the tug on the heart strings would be no competition for my brain talking sense.

Mr Pig

buggi said:
I think people are horrible to each other and that's why a lot of people choose to leave their money to animal charities.

I think that's absolutely true. I know, and have known, animal lovers who do love animals more than people and that's an often seen trait. They have trouble relating to, or perhaps seeing the good in, other people. Some of them are virtually reclusive. Oddly, I tend to get on well with people like that as I don't like other people that much either! ;0) I can understand that I should, but people, in the final analysis, just aren't that nice. Including me I should add.

Animals, however, are not the all loving perfect beings we can make them out to be. Their thought patterns, mental abilities and emotions are vastly lower in function than those of humans. What happens is that we tend to impose thoughts and emotions onto them that they simply do not have. We 'humanise' them, but without the bits we don't want. It's not the fact that they love us unconditionally that we like, they don't do that. It's the fact that they absorb it.

All suffering in the world, whether to humans or animals, is caused by HUMANS.

I agree that people are a pollution but again, it's an oversimplification and not true. Lions are pretty good at causing distress and suffering in other animals. We accept this by correctly understanding the limited thought processes of the prey animals, yes they suffer but it was short and they hadn't worried about it beforehand etc.

However, when it comes to pets, our little affection sponges, such reason goes out of the window. It has to. If we really wanted to alleviate animal suffering we'd get rid of all the cats as each cat removed would save the needless deaths of hundreds of birds, mice and other animals small enough. They'll kill young rabbits you know? They'll kill anything they can, and take pleasure out of dragging out the deaths of their prey. Proper little 'death and suffering' machines.

Noodley

Mr Pig said:
whatever you wrote.

Pig, you think too much. Just let and let live, and all that. Sometimes there is no need to say anything other than 'sorry to hear that' or nothing at all...

Mr Pig said:
needless deaths of hundreds of birds

:sad: If we save the birds they'll eat all the worms! And then what would we fish with..... it doesn't bear thinking about to be honest.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Mr Pig said:
If we really wanted to alleviate animal suffering we'd get rid of all the cats as each cat removed would save the needless deaths of hundreds of birds, mice and other animals small enough. They'll kill young rabbits you know? They'll kill anything they can, and take pleasure out of dragging out the deaths of their prey. Proper little 'death and suffering' machines.
Good idea, let's have a campaign to eliminate all animals that kill other animals :sad:

Oh, and wot Noodley said...

wafflycat

And as the biggest killer of other forms of life is Man, due to eating meat, destroying habitats etc., etc perhaps Mr Pig would like to practice what he preaches and offer himself up as being first for the chop? ;)

Tetedelacourse

yum. Only now has the irony of a forummer named "Mr Pig" arguing that humans are more precious than animals struck me.

I wonder how much it would cost to stuff and then fit radio-controls to a deceased pet. Surely less than £1300.

Top Bottom