Pets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
Arch said:
On the other hand, I can think of a few people on whom spending 2K to keep them alive would be an excessive waste of money....

Oh, I loved that comment - had a good laugh and then I started thinking about some people in the office who would benefit from an earlier despatch. Perhaps, we have a whip round. :biggrin:

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Maz said:
You must have a lot of money in the kitty!

Groan:biggrin: Not now I don't. I have been tracking Galaxies on Ebay, have some money (or had) in my Paypal account, maybe next year.......:biggrin:

Mr Pig

wafflycat said:
I've always thought that a person's attitude to an animal in distress speaks volumes about the kind of person he/she is.

I agree. People who'll spend large sums of money on cats, or leave thousands to cat charities in their wills, are major-league f***** up ones!

People who value the lives of cats more that the lives of humans, or even put them at a similar level, have something deeply wrong with them. They have a warped view of the world and wonky priorities. To be able to look at the human suffering in the world, be in a position to do something about it and instead ignore it and helps cats is perverse.

You suggest that people who ignore animal suffering are not very nice. What about people who ignore human suffering?

Night Train

Maker of Things
MarkF said:
Just got my cat back from the vets today, he's been in a week for a lot of work doing. The final bill was £1213.00:ohmy:

I am looking at him now and "seeing" my dream bike sat there. Now if I had known the cost prior to commencing treatment, I am ashamed to say I honestly don't think I would have gone ahead.;)

Would you spend £1213 on a pet? He's not even a pedigree one mind, just a common moggy.

My cat, Orange, was a rescued feral. He had sixteen years with me and I have just come back from the vets having watched him pass away. His little body was riddled with cancer. I've not asked what the bill is and to be honest I don't care. I would pay whatever it costs and more if it meant that he was able to live a longer and healthy life. Money couldn't help him this time.
I loved him and I miss him.

No 'thing' is worth more then the unconditional love that pets give.

wafflycat

Mr Pig said:
I agree. People who'll spend large sums of money on cats, or leave thousands to cat charities in their wills, are major-league f***** up ones!

People who value the lives of cats more that the lives of humans, or even put them at a similar level, have something deeply wrong with them. They have a warped view of the world and wonky priorities. To be able to look at the human suffering in the world, be in a position to do something about it and instead ignore it and helps cats is perverse.

You suggest that people who ignore animal suffering are not very nice. What about people who ignore human suffering?

Folk who ignore animal or human suffering are not decent. You don't have to do one and not the other. It can be possible to do both. I see your sense of Christian charity to your fellow creatures of the Lord is at its usual profound level, Mr Pig :angel:

Mr Pig said:

Who suggested, anywhere, that they would prioritise cats over humans? I'll tell you ... no one. You're trying to start a fight in an empty room, as usual.

wafflycat

domtyler said:
Freudian slip Waffles? :angel:

heh! Could be when I refer to Marble, my feral rescue, otherwise fondly known as PsychoCatFromHell :girl:

Mr Pig

wafflycat said:
Folk who ignore animal or human suffering are not decent. You don't have to do one and not the other.

But without limitless funds, you do have to choose. I would not spend thousands of pounds saving the life of a cat. In my opinion the life of a cat is not worth it, whereas I would happily give thousands of pounds to help suffering humans.

In reality many pet owners do spend more on their pets than they do helping suffering people. People also give millions of pounds to animal sanctuaries each year. I help a woman who runs an animal sanctuary sometimes, I go up and fix things for her, put in kitchen units, that sort of thing. However, we only have 'X' amount of money to give away we have to make a choice, and I choose not to give it to the animal sanctuary. Bottom line is that people are more important, so they get the money. The only way you can give to both is by not giving very much to either.

To be honest though, even if I had a lot of money and could drop a thousand pounds on vet's bills easily, I would not spend that amount of money to save the life of a cat, or a rabbit which is a better example because at least I like them.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Night Train said:
My cat, Orange, was a rescued feral. He had sixteen years with me and I have just come back from the vets having watched him pass away.

I am sorry to hear this, but he was a lucky cat, you rescued him and he had a good run at 16.

TBH I think mine is just an "ill" cat, I've never had an ill cat before, all the previous have lived healthily through to old age with hardly a problem, this one is an accident prone, physical wreck. The thing is, I have 3 small children, they love him to bits, they want him home, I have no choice but to pay:cry:

buggi

Bird Saviour
Awww, poor moggy, yes of course she was worth it. i would pay that for my Zero or Taffy.

i might see if i can get them insured tomorrow tho!

Top Bottom