Peugeot 103 crank removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rebuild1961

Is there a easy way to remove the outer plastic guard without removing the crank?
0105181642.jpg

Take a photo from the other side of the crankset.

Ajax Bay

Guru
It looks as if you might be able to poke the five fastenings off from the inner chain ring side, without needing to remove the inner, even. Bear in mind that this plastic guard is old and that type of plastic gets brittle with age. As @DCLane implies it's fastened by simple push in clips, of plastic (same vintage). The chance of removing this without breaking at least one (of the five) is low (ie <50%) imo. Consider not removing it if you want the finished bike to have it.

OP
OP
Rebuild1961

Rebuild1961

It looks as if you might be able to poke the five fastenings off from the inner chain ring side, without needing to remove the inner, even. Bear in mind that this plastic guard is old and that type of plastic gets brittle with age. As @DCLane implies it's fastened by simple push in clips, of plastic (same vintage). The chance of removing this without breaking at least one (of the five) is low (ie <50%) imo. Consider not removing it if you want the finished bike to have it.
That sounds good. I can work around it. Just need a little patience. Tks!

OP
OP
Rebuild1961

Rebuild1961

Should this plastic shield move free or should be locked in place?

Attachments

• 0103181448.jpg
    0103181448.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 58
They usually have a pair of little tabs that click around the spokes to hold them in place... that is until they get removed by folks who don't like 'dork discs' :smile:

If the tabs aren't there, I'd heartily recommend removing it and just making sure that the rear mech limit screws are set correctly - you can cut them away with a Stanley or craft knife or a pair of snips.

OP
OP
Rebuild1961

Rebuild1961

They usually have a pair of little tabs that click around the spokes to hold them in place... that is until they get removed by folks who don't like 'dork discs' :smile:

If the tabs aren't there, I'd heartily recommend removing it and just making sure that the rear mech limit screws are set correctly - you can cut them away with a Stanley or craft knife or a pair of snips.
Ok I will check for the tabs (they might be broken off) I will keep this since it is original and also guess the best way to clean this would be Dawn dish soap and a soft toothbrush.

Top Bottom