PF30 Bottom Bracket Squeak Fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
The PF30 on my Boardman CX Team has been annoying me for the last 2786 miles, creaking like a whatsit. The original lasted 7000 miles before rusty balls destroyed it, and since fitting, and refitting, and refitting again, I have never been able to get the new one to run quietly.
After some scientific testing, I discovered that riding out of the saddle stopped the squeak. So I removed the seatpost, cleaned, de-greased, re-greased and re-inserted. My PF30 bottom bracket is now absolutely silent:smile:

Sometimes its not what you thought it was....

alicat

Legendary Member
^_^That put a smile on my face and has set me up nicely for the day.

Reminds I need to find out what is causing the creak on my bike.:cursing: Replacing the bottom bracket had absolutely no effect.

bpsmith

Veteran
BB’s are usually where the blame lies, as it seems so obvious that the sound emanates from there, when it clearly doesn’t.

I had a light creak that I though could be the PF30 BB. Turned out to be the derailleur hanger. A tiny bit of grease applied behind, after clean frame and hanger, and it’s been creak free since.

There is no way I would have said that the problem was from there.

Tangoup51

I'm going to go fill my CX seat tube to the brim with lithium grease now:hyper:

I though my BB was going. Then I realised that some muppet at Shimano thought it a good idea to have a 1mm clearance between the crank and the shell. One grope around with a twig spring the dirt and sorted a problem that's driven me nuts for a couple of weeks.

Velochris

Über Member
I cam wholly recommend Wheels MFG bottom brackets. Bought a threaded PF30 for my Bianchi. Not a single noise after 3000 miles, including riding up and down Luz Ardiden in a horrendous thunder and hail storm.

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I cam wholly recommend Wheels MFG bottom brackets. Bought a threaded PF30 for my Bianchi. Not a single noise after 3000 miles, including riding up and down Luz Ardiden in a horrendous thunder and hail storm.

Do they do seatposts too?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The PF30 BB on my Team Carbon has never given any issues, but it's dry-use only. The bike makes plenty of other noises; mainly cable slap and road thumps being amplified by the tubes. I like riding my track bike because it makes no noise except for a swishing from the tyres and hubs.

Top Bottom