Phew!! cyclist near miss at level crossing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is not an argument for double-barrier crossings.

I was entertained by that snippet, but I knew before viewing that it was a near miss.

The ider was the architect of all that befell him or her. I imagine the train driver miht have been glad of a medicinal Cognac, too.

Had the rider been a motorist pulling out in front of traffic, some clown would have said that the steel cage makes them feel invincible and indestructible. There is piss poor road use by cyclists, too.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
i think Beebo has it right, just filtering and not paying anywhere near enough attention.

Davidc

Guru
Makes normal RLJ look tame.

Lack of awareness and observation, no different from loads of other near misses in that respect, but with the sounders and flashing red lights at level crossings more difficult to achieve.

GrasB

Veteran
I've seen drivers pull the same stunt there... only they weren't anywhere near as close to getting wiped out as that rider. IIRC The trains can quite slow there due to the station so you can be waiting a fair old time.

snorri

Legendary Member
Another example of the casual attitude of Network Rail to public safety leading to a near miss.. They get all steamed up if someone has the audacity to walk across a rural railway line, yet have road crossings with no barrier or just half barriers.:sad:

Linford

my quiet backroad shortcut/longway round goes across a level crossing, always get caught on it, but barriers go all the way across so you can get trapped there. this happened a few years ago when my daughter was leading a horse across it, she only just managed to get through in time....I wrote a letter to railtrack as the stupid bloody signalmen should not lower the barrier without giving reasonable warning, and allowing anyone already on the crossing with an animal to clear it. This has happened to a few horseriderson it now.

Bryony

Veteran
She may have been filtering and was oblivious to the barriers being down (although as others have said the sounders and flashing lights should have bought it to her attention!) she must be local to the area and know that there is a crossing there and the fact she would have to filter pass stationary traffic would be another clue!!

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Perhaps she is only on a bike because she failed her driving test. Either way, utter stupidity and a very lucky escape!

Top Bottom