Phew!! cyclist near miss at level crossing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Entertaining?!!!!! Try telling that to one of my friends, who is a newly qualified train driver and is petrified of his first fatality. :wacko:

I work for Northern rail & on our last safety brief, the subject of fatalities was covered. The stats for us show that there is 1 fatality per 100 drivers a year, so in a 30 year career you have less than a 1 in 3 chance of it happening to you. There are some drivers though who have a few throughout their career & others who have none.
I've done 13 years driving now & I seem to attract other vehicles rather than people :ohmy:

Horrible for the drivers - also, I have a mate who works in maintenance for First group, apparently always scraping 'bits' off, on a regular basis. So, really nasty for all concerned.

Rupie

Über Member
You all say the cyclist is a fool and you feel sorry for the train driver. Just one question, what if this had of been a video of a normal road crossroads, with a cyclist jumping the red light, on their way home, and nearly getting run over by an articulated Lorry, legally crossing the junction. it would have not created such press. The potential outcome would have been the same. Why react differently this time ?

Mile195

Veteran
You all say the cyclist is a fool and you feel sorry for the train driver. Just one question, what if this had of been a video of a normal road crossroads, with a cyclist jumping the red light, on their way home, and nearly getting run over by an articulated Lorry, legally crossing the junction. it would have not created such press. The potential outcome would have been the same. Why react differently this time ?
Because people jump red lights more often I suppose. Also a lorry is more likely to be able to stop. Trains can take extraordinary distances to come to a complete halt depending on their speed and number of carriages. You'd like to think she did it by accident, but I don't see how you can miss big red flashy lights AND an 8 foot piece of wood jutting out across the road.

I'm so pleased that cycling has increased so hugely in popularity over the last few years, but there really are an odd few people that for the sake of themselves and everyone around them really ought to just go back to using the bus!

Sorry, Rupie, don't be too quick to generalise, I would have responded in exactly the same way, and been very sorry for the train or lorry driver. Absolutely insane, there is no way you can protect against complete tools like this. One thing that occurred to me when I first saw the vid, was, what if she actually possessed a driving licence? The thought of her on the road 'in control of a car' is really, really frightening. If only the Darwin Award rules had applied, a second earlier and..........!

The consequences are far greater.

If you close a level crossing, as is happening in some cases it often means a detour of several miles befor ethe track can again be crossed

oldroadman

Veteran
A friend who was a train driver now works in the ticket office of my local station, because someone like the person in the first video did more or less the same thing on foot in front of his train (travelling at 80mph). Only they didn't get out of the way in time. Two years off work and extensive counselling. He's even nervous of travelling as a passenger now, and has taken a big pay cut to return to work. All because of someone who couldn't spare a couple of minutes, and now has an eternity (if you belive that sort of stuff) to reflect where being impatient got them,

Top Bottom