Phew!! cyclist near miss at level crossing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
whatever the reason for her lack of er... observation... I'm sure she's learned a lesson.

I learnt far more from stepping out on the road without looking or listening and almost getting run over than i did from joining the tufty club.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Dumb, Death and blind. All the qualities you need to be a s*** cyclist.

But excellent qualities for a pinball player.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Friend has just returned to driving trains after the 3rd suicide in front of his cab ... he had to have leave and was instructed to get proper counselling to cope [which they organised on his behalf]- thought he didn't need it but it really helped him come to terms with why people do it..

The husband of a colleague works for the railways. His job is basically to drive round the country managing these situations. It happens all the time.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I recall our local railroad used a steam derrick when I worked maintenance of way when I was in college in the 70's. Some people would gape at this ancient,lumbering dinosaur and forget they were on the tracks. Until we blew the whistle.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
No sympathy, sorry, what a stupid idiot.

THAT SAID, my Mum and I once got caught between the barriers of a 4+ track crossing in Poland as we walked across. It was a mahoosive crossing and we were able to walk round a bit at the side though.

Incidentally, a bit of advice here if you ever get caught between two trains approaching each other at any sort if speed, get down on the ground as low as you can get (preferably lying down) to avoid the air turbulence, rubbish/derbis being disturbed by the passing trains and also (and most importantly), the trains themselves!

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I nearly killed myself and my agent on an unguarded crossing in Hungary. I was driving, she was asleep, I'd been going for a long time and was following another car without really thinking when the road, which paralelled a railway, suddenly took a dogleg, crossed the railway and carried on. The driver in front of me took a dangerous risk - or maybe made the same mistake as me - and as I followed them across I saw the buffers of a diesel engine over my right shoulder; it must have missed the car by a couple of feet. I said nothing and my agent slept on. Nearest I've come to certain death.

Entertaining?!!!!! Try telling that to one of my friends, who is a newly qualified train driver and is petrified of his first fatality. :wacko:
Yep - they invariably have to go through months of counselling when some selfish twonk decides to stand in front of their train!!

I knew a train driver whose brother also drove trains and was driving the train that hit and killed David Bowie's brother. They locked eyes just before impact.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
according to R4 news today, the woman has come forward and 'they' will be having a word with her next week.

Good cop "We`re all glad there wasnt an accident"
Bad cop "But due to the potential risk (and the fact its been all over youtube and the telly) we will have to prosecute you"
Strava cop "Where was the sprint, you could have made that easy if you had commited to it and took the segment. You`re either first or no-where. No kudos for you!"

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Good cop "We`re all glad there wasnt an accident"
Bad cop "But due to the potential risk (and the fact its been all over youtube and the telly) we will have to prosecute you"
Strava cop "Where was the sprint, you could have made that easy if you had commited to it and took the segment. You`re either first or no-where. No kudos for you!"
Cyclist "I thought I was going to get a reward." :cry:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Nope - you have company on that one! I work for a rail company and still do it lol

I got into the habit of looking both ways before crossing every railway track a few years ago now. I might feel a bit daft doing it if there are a lot of tracks and its obvious nothing is there, but I don't care, I'd rather look than not.

Top Bottom