Phew! That was close ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Last night, after dinner in Dedham, I decided to drive back via country roads to Ipswich. Near Tattingstone there is a notorious stretch where a number of fatal accidents have occurred - probably because some people feel encouraged to speed up after a succession of twisting corners. (I've had so many close passes on my bike, I think twice about taking the route when riding out that way.)
I'm driving just under 60mph, full-beams on, and with so little other traffic, my main concern is suicidal animals rushing into the road. Just as I approach the base of a long, slow rise, another car coming the other way crests the hill. I switch to dipped and take my foot off the accelerator.
In retrospect, if I hadn't have been so quick at switching from main to dip, I might have caught an earlier glimpse of the cyclist struggling up the hill.
The on-coming car is slightly dazzling me, I slow even more, and a split second before we are about to pass each other, I catch sight of a rather dim back light and a reflective sash.
I brake. I brake hard.
Again, in retrospect, there would have been enough room, but I would not like to have been responsible for whizzing past a cyclist and giving him the sort of close pass we all so hate.
He gave me a wave of thanks. I gave him a toot of thanks for the wave of thanks. And started breathing again.
I have no idea if he was truly aware how the confluence of events had a damn good go a conspiring to cause a serious accident.
But I am.
Be careful out there, folks.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Well done :eek: - sounds like good driving on your part. :heat:

Wonder if the cyclist even knew his rear light was almost invisible ... :headshake:

D

Deleted member 1258

Last night, after dinner in Dedham, I decided to drive back via country roads to Ipswich. Near Tattingstone there is a notorious stretch where a number of fatal accidents have occurred - probably because some people feel encouraged to speed up after a succession of twisting corners. (I've had so many close passes on my bike, I think twice about taking the route when riding out that way.)
I'm driving just under 60mph, full-beams on, and with so little other traffic, my main concern is suicidal animals rushing into the road. Just as I approach the base of a long, slow rise, another car coming the other way crests the hill. I switch to dipped and take my foot off the accelerator.
In retrospect, if I hadn't have been so quick at switching from main to dip, I might have caught an earlier glimpse of the cyclist struggling up the hill.
The on-coming car is slightly dazzling me, I slow even more, and a split second before we are about to pass each other, I catch sight of a rather dim back light and a reflective sash.
I brake. I brake hard.
Again, in retrospect, there would have been enough room, but I would not like to have been responsible for whizzing past a cyclist and giving him the sort of close pass we all so hate.
He gave me a wave of thanks. I gave him a toot of thanks for the wave of thanks. And started breathing again.
I have no idea if he was truly aware how the confluence of events had a damn good go a conspiring to cause a serious accident.
But I am.
Be careful out there, folks.

Its an horrible situation to be in, I came back to driving after a break in 2012 and I've been in this situation a couple of times, dazzled by an oncoming car and sat there thinking I'm sure there's a cyclist round here somewhere, then the flash of a pedal reflector or a fag end bright rear light, ah there he is. Well done you did well there.

Top Bottom