Phone storage question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I have a J5 samsung phone that has 8gb storage.
Its saying ive used 95% ...
I put a SD card in but its made no difference.
I also deleted a few apps like Ebay and a couple of others.

I asked at Carphone and they said i should just get a new phone?? Its a year old ffs
So is there any reason why i cant free up storage as it wants space for updates..
I have a sim only contract and bought the phone. So i just pay 10 quid pcm

I only use it for text and odd calls..its in my locker all day and i only take odd pics..
No games or long FB postings etc..its just a phone

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
On the latest version of android mine changed. It is samsung group and then my files then it tells me the breakdown of sd to internal.

Move photos of videos to your sd card or something a few hundred MB. It probably defaults to internal storage.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
J5 should have same operating system as the Samsung I used to have.

It should have somewhere a "Device Storage" utility that lets you see what is on the phone and how much of the storage space things are taking up. There are the system requirements (which in a 8GB phone can take up a surprisingly large portion of total storage), apps, pictures, videos etc etc

Just sticking an SD card into the phone does nothing. You have to move stuff from your Phone storage (which is almost full) to your SD card (which is empty). And then in the future you can set up your phone so that when you take a picture or whatever, it saves it to the SD card rather than the phone

Go into settings and apps, find Google play store and delete the cache. Quite often it can be a few hundred Mb. The rest as per advice already given, you need to move stuff onto the SD card and when it does updates you then need to check the stuff you moved has stayed moved as a few apps move themselves back to internal storage.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Ohh i think ive done it..lol ive moved Everything :laugh:. I love tech:banghead::hyper:

Thankyou all thats sorted it..:okay:

stephec

Legendary Member
Go into settings and apps, find Google play store and delete the cache. Quite often it can be a few hundred Mb. The rest as per advice already given, you need to move stuff onto the SD card and when it does updates you then need to check the stuff you moved has stayed moved as a few apps move themselves back to internal storage.
This advice is top banana, I once had 5Gb in my cache.

Clear out the cache. I've been having to do it more recently or app updates won't download/install 'due to insufficient space'
should go something like
Open settings --> storage ---> cached data --> clear cached data
Believe it web pages you've looked at that get downloaded to speed up and reduce data use if you go back to them again. /never caused me any bother deleting it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The trouble with moving apps to the SD card is that they often get moved back when the apps get updated so then you have to move them back to the SD card again.

I updated my replacement phone to Android Marshmallow and discovered that on more recent versions such as that you can format the SD card to act as if internal memory so now I have 80 GB instead of 16 GB internal and 64 GB external. You can then forget about where things are - it becomes purely a question of the total amount of space that you are using. 80 GB will always be enough for me. I have about 13 GB worth of OS maps on my phone but I still have loads of space left.

Top Bottom