Phrases I`m getting increasingly sick of hearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What really gets my goat is when some smart arse comes up with a pedantic correction that is wrong.

If you're going to be pedantic, at least get it right.

One that springs to mind is if someone hears a phrase like "it will be impacted by the changes" and snottily replies "This is grammatically incorrect. Impact is a noun, not a verb". No, impact is a verb as well as a noun. Look in the bleeding dictionary. Just because you don't like a particular usage doesn't make it grammatically incorrect.:boxing:

I'm getting annoyed just thinking about it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There's a certain amount of logic in using "math" (singular) rather than "maths" (plural) as a contraction for mathematics.

After all, nobody says "maths are difficult".
I saw a tweet today where someone said something along the lines of "Your mathematics are correct, but your grammar is wrong".

That annoyed me as "mathematics are" is either incorrect or else it's incredibly pompous.

That got me thinking - is "mathematics" a singular noun or a plural noun? I think it's singular, so I think it's both pompous and wrong. But I'd have to check.

As to whether it should be "math" or "maths". Meh. Both make perfectly good sense.

I saw a tweet today where someone said something along the lines of "Your mathematics are correct, but your grammar is wrong".

That annoyed me as "mathematics are" is either incorrect or else it's incredibly pompous.

That got me thinking - is "mathematics" a singular noun or a plural noun? I think it's singular, so I think it's both pompous and wrong. But I'd have to check.

As to whether it should be "math" or "maths". Meh. Both make perfectly good sense.
You've sent me down a rabbit hole.

I think trying to ascribe a definitively correct English answer to a translated Latin word ("mathematica") is going to end in tears.

Latin words that end with an "a" or "ae" are almost always either plural or uncountable. See alga/algae.

The field of mathematics would be uncountable singular.
"Mathematics is the study of numbers and shapes": valid
"This is a mathematics.": nonsense

Conversely it also comprises multiple branches.
"Algebra and trigonometry are both mathematics. Those mathematics are the ones that refer to arithmetic operations and shapes": odd but technically correct (the best kind of correct)
In the context you used, it could be a valid countable plural replacement e.g. "your calculations are correct" or "your application of the field of mathematics is correct"

What about physics? :wacko:
"Math" is an annoying Americanism but easier to pronounce.

It's when Americans try to describe multiple bricks from a Danish toy manufacturer that I truly want to break my fist on their heads...

Drago

Legendary Member
"People's Vote" used to annoy me a lot - aside from the grammatical issues, it was usually uttered in a strident, whinging tone that made me want to do violence unto whichever TV or radio was uttering the words. I don't care about the politics, couldn't give a sheet either way in that regard, it was just the childish, whining, bleating manner in which the phrase was squealed out that made me feel nauseous when I heard it.

Strangely, and very fortunately, for some bizarre reason the phrase has fallen into complete disuse since the general election.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
"People's Vote" used to annoy me a lot - aside from the grammatical issues, it was usually uttered in a strident, whinging tone that made me want to do violence unto whichever TV or radio was uttering the words. I don't care about the politics, couldn't give a sheet either way in that regard, it was just the childish, whining, bleating manner in which the phrase was squealed out that made me feel nauseous when I heard it.

Strangely, and very fortunately, for some bizarre reason the phrase has fallen into complete disuse since the general election.

At least a few of them got a coach trip to London out of it, even if they'd have been better advised to use the time to visit Madame Tussaud's and the Science Museum.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's when Americans try to describe multiple bricks from a Danish toy manufacturer that I truly want to break my fist on their heads...
Funny you should mention that as I was going to raise the same thing. Maybe there's a law if conservation of plurals. Math's loss is Lego's gain.

Americanisms themselves such as Math and Aluminum (and Legos, pl) don't bother me at all. Silly new words that don't help clear expression annoy me, whichever side of the Atlantic they were coined.

Last edited:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
No, it was adopted.
8C3F41B8-5A01-4C32-AD15-6957AA48E5B3.jpeg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
End reflexive pronoun abuse now! Ask myself how.
Pure genius. I fully intend to steal that.

I think it originates from the idea that these pronouns are somehow posher, more polite and more deferential than plain old me and you.

I remember exactly where and when I was first annoyed by that. Streatham, 1987, discussion with a pushy agent who couldn't accept that I'd chosen another job over the one he was touting. "I'll send the contract to yourself anyway."

Top Bottom